Second go at a Deep sky Mosiac - the Veil *final reprocess*

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Second go at a Deep sky Mosiac - the Veil *final reprocess*

Postby ford prefect » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Suprisingly a clear night - not forecast all week and not the greatest of seeing but could hardly look a gift horse in the mouth now could I!

Have never attempted this region at all before as I had an unmodded camera and no guiding last year. I have to say the Macbook pro + QHY5 has been an epic combination for me and I didn't need to lose 1 frame all night! Had to wait until about 11 before I took the first subframe as it was still pretty light

Started on the lovely right hand portion and took 12 x 8minutes and 10 second subs ( don't ask - my brain froze and for some reason I programmed in 490 second subs into DSLR shutter gawd knows why)

Well even the raw subs on the preview window ( not the best on a 350d) were looking good and I was taken, as no doubt so many are, by the mad idea to get it all.

Moved on to the middle section and managed 8 sub frames before moving onto the brighter last part.

Regrettably at that point I only managed 3 subframes - not due to exhaustion or equipment failure or even dew but DAWN!!!

Have decided to process this as a whole using photoshops panorama function which is epic in my opinion and does the job in 3.6 seconds! the trick was getting the brightness' right on each of the individual frames as mentioned above the last was taken as the dawn chorus kicked off!!

I am quite sure there is much more to get from the individual data especially the witches broom which certainly had hints of blue in it and some of the fine detail has been lost not only by compressing it to a small jpeg but also by processing the image as a whole rather than as individual images ( does that make sense- I can't tell the world is fuggy this morning)

Sorry about the hole bottom right - to be filled in later

But I was reasonably happy for a first bash these are truely beautiful nebulae. Cygnus is such a treasure trove and now I am guiding and have a modded camera I feel like a kid in a sweet shop - the temptation to keep darting about the sky is very great.

Weird to see Cassiopea and andromeda up again through Bino's and Jupiter looked just amazing with the naked eye

[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/sidleydoc/VeilFrame.jpg[/image]
ford prefect

RE: Second go at a Deep sky Mosiac - the Veil

Postby paulc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Superb Chris/Tom.
paulc

Postby dslrastromod » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Looking super so far....i like your processing.
...finish off those last few frames and we have a winner![;)]

BTW are you uszing any other filters, i notice aslight reddish halo around larger stars.
dslrastromod

Postby Chanctonbury » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:26 pm

This is a cracker, Chris, with all the 'main events' nicely captured.
Chanctonbury

Postby ford prefect » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 am

[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/sidleydoc/WitchesBroomsmall.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/sidleydoc/Newmerge.jpg[/image]

Think the processing is better on these - the witches broom is a lovely part of the sky and I intend to try and do it more justice in the future
ford prefect

Postby psychobilly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:00 am

Nicely done Chris,

How are you stiching the mosaic?

How much Overlap are you allowing?

Peter...

psychobilly

Postby darkside » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:00 am

cool mosaic chris [;)]
darkside

Postby ford prefect » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks chaps - I am actualy using photoshops own panorama function (found under file - new_ which so far has done the job beautifully as long as the frames are of the same brighness - the 'advanced blending function box works well when checked)

This is my final stab with the data and I think its the best of them all but probably won't tomorrow - you know how it goes

[image]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/sidleydoc/finalmergeveilsmallbmp-1.jpg[/image]

ford prefect

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches