Switch to full style
A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow
Post a reply

Security lighting

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Where I used to live my garden faced due south across a playing field then a railway line with industrial units beyond that.
No problems until one of the firms installed security lighting which beamed right at me.
I went round to see the manager and explained what problems it caused for me.
I gave him a picture of Orion taken fro my back yard and he agreed to reposition the lighting which helped a lot.
He just wasn't aware of any problem arising from his lighting but he is now.
I have a similar but lesser problem where I am now and I intend to grow some fast growing Leylandii to fix the problem[;)]

RE: Security lighting

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:26 pm

That was a fantastic result nighthawk, and just goes to show what can be done when you ask nicely (assuming you didn't threaten him with a slow and painful death, of course! [:D])

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm

[quote]I intend to grow some fast growing Leylandii to fix the problem[/quote]
Leylandii will make the issue of how bright the sky is moot because you won't be able to see the sky at all. Those things are EVIL, planting them ought to be a capital offence. ;)

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianb

[quote][color=#CCFF33]I intend to grow some fast growing Leylandii to fix the problem[/quote]
Leylandii will make the issue of how bright the sky is moot because you won't be able to see the sky at all. Those things are EVIL, planting them ought to be a capital offence[/color]. ;)

[/quote]
Not in this particular situationbrianb. I am well aware of the problems with Leylandii being a gardener and all. This part of garden faces north and has a large builders merchants on the other side of existing shrubbery. Their security light shines right across and into our lounge window as well as being in telescopes line of sight when looking north. There is a large (80Ft) tree to one side so more trees won't make much difference and will also help to screen their forklifts and delivery lorries.
No neighbour problems there.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 pm

To say Leylandii are a bad thing and should be banned is the same as saying this or that road is dangerous or cars kill, neither is true, roads are not a danger and cars do not kill, blame people for the way they drive.

Trees are fine, my fathers 200' back garden has them both sides, trimmed every year to seven feet, and kept in good condition.

It is how people use them that is wrong not the tree.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:16 am

HI Dave,
I agree Leylandii is very usefull hedging but it must be maintained at least once a year once its reached its desired height.Its a great sceen against light pollution but also cold winds all great reasons for a astronomer to have some.There was mutings by the UK government to ban Leylandii a few years ago after a few cases of violent neighbour disputes,but a far better and fairer way would be legal height limit of say 4 metres or so.[8|]
Regards Les.
Post a reply