Silly question of the day

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

RE: Silly question of the day

Postby philip pugh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

The fake myth came about due to a good book called "Capricorn One" which was a story about a faked Mars landing.
philip pugh

Postby worcspaul » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianb

[quote]The magnitude of the hazard increases with distance from Earth.
[/quote]
Not true ... the only thing that is significantly different about going out of low earth orbit is the time it takes to get back.

[/quote]

I see your point. I suppose I was thinking in terms of the ability to return in the event of a problem coupled with the ability to survive :)
worcspaul

Postby ok0510@126.com » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:46 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: pwalsh61

[quote]The magnitude of the hazard increases with distance from Earth.
[/quote]
Not true ... the only thing that is significantly different about going out of low earth orbit is the time it takes to get back.

[/quote]

I see your point. I suppose I was thinking in terms of the ability to return in the event of a problem coupled with the ability to survive :)
[/quote]In actual fact, you are both correct in a way, depending on the nature of the hazard. Certain eventualities could be avoided if a swift return through the atmosphere could be effected, whereas an immediate and total loss of all oxygen(without chance to put on a space suit or migrate to another spacecraft) or the destruction of the spacecraft itself could be equally unmanageable, regardless of distance from Earth.
ok0510@126.com

Postby brianb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:53 am

[quote]an immediate and total loss of all oxygen(without chance to put on a space suit or migrate to another spacecraft) or the destruction of the spacecraft itself could be equally unmanageable, regardless of distance from Earth. [/quote]
And that scenario is [i]more[/i] likely in low earth orbit, due to the sheer volume of junk in similar orbits.

brianb

Postby hssb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:03 am

i have actually just got home for a meeting with Ed Michel (6th man on the moon Apollo 14) and as always happened someone asked him if the landings where faked his reply was "we where in a race with the soviet union, do you think they would really let us get away with faking it" it was an epic moment as everyone started clapping him when he said that [:D]
hssb

Postby lancashire astroguy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:20 am

Different attitude to risk. Simple as that.

[/quote]

You are quite right Brian. The funny thing is that the risk-phobia is more a problem with NASA and the US politicians than the astronauts themselves. I can't help thinking that the vast majority of people reading this forum would be happy to accept a risk of death of 1 in 3 for the chance to visit the Moon or Mars. I know I would!

James
lancashire astroguy

Postby hssb » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:20 am

[quote]I know I would[/quote]

im right behind you on that one [;)]
hssb

Postby norbert » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:03 pm

NASA have actually just released some pretty conclusive photos from the original Apollo-11 mission which should silence all the conspiracy wonks once and for all...

http://estb.msn.com/i/FD/945CA3242BBEBBEC81933F6DE17.jpg
norbert

Postby philip pugh » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: lancashire astroguy

Different attitude to risk. Simple as that.

[/quote]

You are quite right Brian. The funny thing is that the risk-phobia is more a problem with NASA and the US politicians than the astronauts themselves. I can't help thinking that the vast majority of people reading this forum would be happy to accept a risk of death of 1 in 3 for the chance to visit the Moon or Mars. I know I would!

James

[/quote]

I'd like my daughter to finish uni before I'd be prepared to take that risk. I think older people (like me) with less life to look forward to would be more prepared to risk it.
philip pugh

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question