Sir Patrick Moore.

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Sir Patrick Moore.

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:46 pm

[:D]Hi Gang,
Has anyone out there met Sir Patrick! I have spoken to him many times on the phone and found him to be a complete gentleman with a great sense of humour. I hope one day to meet the great man in person. I would like to hear from anyone who has met him and would share the experience.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Sir Patrick Moore.

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:03 pm

I havn't met or spoken to him in person, but it is so awsome you have! I myself would like to meet him one day.
sonia

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:03 pm

Hello again Sonia,
Sir Patrick has said to me both verbally and in letters that if I'm ever in Selsey where he lives to give him a call. My main problem is I'm in Liverpool at the other end of the country! I guess you could say that I'm a big fan of his work as I have over 160 items (books,tapes DVDs etc) and he has personally signed over 100 of them for me!
I guess you could say I am lucky!
jsc248
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby steven hill » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:20 pm

[font="times new roman"]I have met Sir Patrick Moore on two occasions. Once at the Planetarium in London, the second time in Swansea, where he lectured about the planet Mars. He opitomizes english eccentricity in some respects. Not that this is in any way a bad thing. He is a charismatic individual who has and continues to lead a charmed life. He has met many influential people in his life, both connected to Astronomy, the sciences and the Arts. I would highly recommend his autobiography to anybody - '80 Not Out!' He is a warm person with diverse interests (not only astronomy). He spoke longer to my girlfriend (who sings soprano in Gilbert & Sullivan operettas), than he did with me about Astronomy. However, having been privileged to have met my hero twice, and thanked him for influencing more than one generation to 'look up', certainly me, he remains a british institution, well respected and loved. There are not many individuals so respected as he, he continues to influence people to look up and wonder at the majesty of the cosmos. I salute him. [/font]
steven hill

Postby g4aqb » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:53 pm

Hi!

My first post to the forum has to be a big [color=#cc6600][b]Thank You [/b][/color]to Sir Patrick, he has inspired me over the years from the time when I was young. I remember well the Apollo 11 Moon Landing and watching Sir Pat at all hours of the night on the telly! Maybe we may meet him on the forum...I hope so!

Steve
g4aqb

Postby richard42 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:30 pm

wow that would be cool!
richard42

Postby geoff3323 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm

I went on holiday once to Selsy and stayed next to the lighthouse , (About 1968). On this holiday I saw Sir Patrick in his garden. He was the first famous person I had ever seen. It made my day even then ! I was about 10 years old.
geoff3323

Postby cureforsanity » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:50 pm

My grandparents lived in Selsey (and now my parents have moved there) so I spent a lot of time there as a kid. I remember seeing Patrick driving around the village in a beaten up old Triumph 2000 (I think) and hearing him coming from miles away on his squeaky old pushbike.

I rememeber there was a guy living opposite who owned a really big telescope, at least it seemed big when I was knee high to a grasshopper. It was in a bright green shed in the garden that swivelled on a track. My Dad thought he was going mad the first few times we went to see my Grandparents and the shed door was in a different position each time! Anyway, Patrick used to visit him and he was there one time when my Dad had asked if we could have a look through the 'scope.

Years later, my cousin and I finally summoned the courage to knock on Patrick's door to get an autograph. We lost our nerve a couple of times, but when we finally did go round....he was out!

I was also him playing the par three course at Chichester Golf Club a few years ago, but I still didn't have the nerve to get that autograph.
cureforsanity

Postby asterixhb » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:43 pm

Haven't met THE MAN but have read his auto-biography "80 Not Out". What a fascinating and generally all round top bloke. Not afraid to state what he thinks, some might say controversial in some of his opinions, but then again, it is about him and his life, not what people want him to say or think. If you're interested in Sir Patrick and his life, read this book.
asterixhb

Postby sonia » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:10 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: g4aqb
Maybe we may meet him on the forum...I hope so!

Steve
[/quote]

Now that would be awesome!
sonia

Next

Return to General