Sky at Night Excellent - Space Cadets stupid

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Sky at Night Excellent - Space Cadets stupid

Postby peter hale » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:06 pm

Thank goodness the BBC has a real astronomy programme and has made many other good astronomy and other space programmes. The offereing from channel 4 of a reality TV show which fools people into thinking they are going into space is really scraping the barrel. Sky at Night encourages those who might want to enter astronomy, engineering, science, and space science. That channel 4 Space Cadet program is a cruel hoax. It's also a sad reflection on the attitude of too many people in this country that it's OK to allow space science and engineering to decline in the UK future.

Peter Hale
peter hale

RE: Sky at Night Excellent - Space Cadets stupid

Postby iainmoore » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:36 am

I totally agree. I only watched one episode of the `space cadets` - couldn't stand it anymore. Seems like this type of program is the future of tv - makes you wonder why you pay a licence fee!
iainmoore

Postby weebaldy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:03 pm

Thank goodness other people feel the same. I thought I was just getting Grumpy in my Old age thinking these kind of shows are downright cruel. It seems to me that teaching kids that watch this trash that is is OK and "cool" to laugh at others hardships or dissapointments is a very dangerous path to take. I must admit I have never watched Space Cadets but did have a good old rant when I saw the preview adverts. Thank Goodness indeed for Programs like the Sky at Night , maybe there is hope yet.......

RG
weebaldy

Postby grahammogford » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:30 am

The impression I get, from the total lack of conversation about the programme from my colleagues in the staff room [i]and[/i] the students in the classroom (target audience, surely...), is that nobody else is watching 'Space Cadets' either.

This is not really a surprise, as the whole idea sounded cr*p from the start, and anyway when was the last time Johnny Vaughen did anything worth watching on TV anyway?
grahammogford

Postby day_one » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:33 pm

I watched bits of it due to my friends really being into it?! I annoyed them all though as I was forever questioning what they were doing lol, then I refused watch all together when they started playing the stupid games etc.
day_one

Return to General