Sky At Night podcast - Episode 5 is out now!

A place to talk about the magazine's vodcast

Sky At Night podcast - Episode 5 is out now!

Postby wgater » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi everyone,

The latest issue of the podcast (Episode 5) is out now for you to download. http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/podcast/skyatnightpodcastepisode5.mp3

It'll be on iTunes in the next day or so for those of you who subscribe via there.

In this month’s episode:

- we talk to Allan Chapman about 400 years of the telescope
- explore the latest results from the Galaxy Zoo with Chris Lintott
- find out about the latest news from deep space
- keep you up to date with what to look out for in the night sky with Paul Money
- see what astronomy is on TV this September
- our first reader section where you can come on to the podcast and tell us about your interest in astronomy

Plus we have a special interview with Don Airey from Deep Purple about his love of astronomy, as well as news about the podcast hitting the road at the Herstmonceux Astronomy Festival 2008.

Remember you can subscribe via RSS/XML on the podcast page - http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/podcast.asp or find us on iTunes.
wgater

RE: Sky At Night podcast - Episode 5 is out now!

Postby kev102 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:36 pm

Another great show Will [:D]...............Kev
kev102

Postby les » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:40 pm

HI All,
Downloading a podcast is a bit of a sick joke if like me you cant get broadband ,it would take hours to download a episode.[:@]Why podcast the episodes anyway if theres going to be bonus programmes why not just put them in the coverdisc?[&:]
Regards Les.
les

Postby brianb » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:40 pm

[quote]Downloading a podcast is a bit of a sick joke if like me you cant get broadband[/quote]
The issue I have with podcasts & the like is that I really don't want to use BBC iPlayer because of the "digital rights management" (more like mangling) incorporated in it.

Please can we have an open source iPlayer that will run on a generic linux system. Don't assume anything other than the existence of a window manager.
brianb

Postby Graham Southorn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Sorry if I've misunderstood you, but the podcast is on Apple iTunes, not BBC iPlayer. Podcasts don't have digital rights management built in. Or rather, they can do - but only the paid-for ones.
Graham Southorn

Postby wombat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 pm

well graham & will i've now listened to all of them, i must admit that i had a few reservations that the banter between you two might have been a bit cheesy to start with but it's starting to come together, i actually laughed when will stormed out [:D] (erm just thought that's a bit of a spoiler, whoops. ok don't read this if you haven't heard podcast 5). a nicely structured, snappy, informative (for the format), laidback series of podcasts.
My only criticism would be the audio quality of alan chapman's "phone call" on 5 and other phone calls on the previous parts were a bit below audio par compared to the rest of the "show", which was a shame as the mix on the rest of it was fine. other than getting him (or anyone else) into a studio somewhere it's a tough one to crack, i'm assuming you've tried serious fiddling with a parametric equalisers to lift the main frequencies out of the mush ?

overall for the series so far 8/10 from me, very enjoyable keep em coming.
wombat

Postby wgater » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 am

Hehe, Wombat, our early banter was actually cheesier than the dairy counter at Tesco![:D][:D][;)] We're gradually working it all out, so hopefully it'll sound more relaxed as time goes on.

Thanks also for your suggestions too. [:D] We're always looking into improving the quality, especially our phone interviews. I'll definitely look into the things you suggest. Phone interviews do tend to be very tricky to get the sound clear though, especially compared to the broadcast quality mics we use for the studio talking. We're always dependent on the quality of the phone line.

Also, from a suggestion by someone here on the forum, we're also looking into lowering the bit rate of the podcast so it's a smaller file size to fit on an iPod.

Cheers.
Will
wgater

Postby ed_holden » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:13 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Will Gater
Also, from a suggestion by someone here on the forum, we're also looking into lowering the bit rate of the podcast so it's a smaller file size to fit on an iPod. [/quote]

You da man! That's what I love about this magazine: the authors actually listen to reader feedback. [:)]

Regarding improving the audio quality of telephone-based interviews, perhaps you could use Skype? The Planetary Radio podcast uses Skype regularly and although it's not quite up to studio standards, it's considerably better than a regular telephone call.
ed_holden

Postby wgater » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Ed, I couldn't find the post where you had asked so I tagged it onto this one. [:D]

Yes Skype is what we are using. Skype to Skype calls are generally fine quality and given two good connections we've found it to be excellent in fact. Skype to a landline is diff. matter; so we'll keep looking into it (as not everyone we interview uses Skype).
wgater

Postby Graham Southorn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:03 pm

[quote]i'm assuming you've tried serious fiddling with a parametric equalisers.[/quote]

Sounds painful [;)]
Graham Southorn

Next

Return to Sky At Night vodcast