Sky @ Night Magazine - Build a telescope

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

Sky @ Night Magazine - Build a telescope

Postby macdonald » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:13 pm

Whilst not wanting to critisise the Sky at Night magazine, I feel I must comment on the 'build your own telescope' article that has been publicised and promoted for a while.

I thought we would be taken through the 1st steps in building a telescope, but NO. We were shown how to build a desk.....

Come on Sky at Night, dont treat us all like idiots. If we wanted to build a desk we would go to Ikea or B&Q. I didnt spend money on a magazine promoting how to build a telescope, only to find I would first have to build a table....

Mac
macdonald

RE: Sky @ Night Magazine - Build a telescope

Postby spartacus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:13 pm

look at it as an aptitude test, if you can't manage a plank with 4 legs attached, why bother starting with something more demanding ? [:D]

Keef
spartacus

Postby Chanctonbury » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:13 pm

I feel the same as Mac - this project has great potential but to dumb it down and waste a third of the article on the bench was dissappointing. I mean, why haven't they told us how to make our own ruler (rule?) out of white card, just in case we don't have a suitable one?

I suspect that the rest of the article will be worth the wait but it was a poor start IMHO that has not done the project the justice that I think it deserves.
Chanctonbury

Postby skywatcher1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Have I missed something, does what is being made out of wood have anything to do with building a Dob!, do we need to make the table to make the scope on or what.
skywatcher1

Postby psychobilly » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Haven't you built yours yet? [8|]

I have just finished grinding and polishing my 12" mirror following the instructions in last months issue of "Practical Woodwooker"

Doh...

Billy...

p.s. "other woodworking magazines are available" ;)

p.p.s. - as well as providing a useful work surface , perhaps the table build was a "rite of passage" - if you gave up on the table then you probably wouldn't start on the scope....

psychobilly

Postby macdonald » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Maybe I should be more patient. I'm sure next months issue will teach us how to paint our table......We wait with hope.

Mac
macdonald

Postby paladin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi

I too, was disappointed by the first article in the series; hopefully, the next one will be more informative.

Btw, I sent off for the price list of special parts as detailed on the cd rom, but after 3 weeks have heard nothing. Has anyone yet received theirs?

Paul
paladin

Postby bajr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Iseen this as more of a financial viability test. If you have to go out and buy all the tools just to build the bench, you would probably be better off buying a skyliner and saving your fingernails for another project, such as building your own moon. Brian
bajr

Postby felon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 pm

And I thought they were going too fast!

Seriously I hope those with a view to build put up pics and updates. For now at least I am only a Telescope Building Voyeur...

Brian
felon

Postby 7of9 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Guess how dissapointed I was with part one..how to build a table!

I had unpacked all my packing boxes in the garage and boarded the loft to take care of occasional use items and then transported a spare workbench from my dads workshop and the next day... how to build a table[:@][:@][:@][:@]

I hope part two will be better, I need to get to the paper shop today before they run out.

Jules
7of9

Next

Return to Telescope Making