Sky watcher eq3 pro mount, not aligning

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Sky watcher eq3 pro mount, not aligning

Postby John MK » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:09 pm

I've recently got the eq3 pro mount, and I'm having some problems which I can't fix no matter what I do! Now I've read the instructions and followed some YouTube videos (of which are very few) and my mount just doesn't want to align no matter what I do!

I do a two star align, and I start to align to betelgeuse but the scope just seems to move completely wrong direction, then I move it with the arrow keys and then it just stops. As if the power is off. But the power is on and fine. It just stops.

I'm really confused why it's doing this and I can't fix it no matter what I do.

Why does it just stop moving with align arrow keys, whilst aligning?

Why isn't it going anywhere near the star I'm looking at even though I've put in my longitude and latitude correctly?

Just frustrating me at the moment.

Regards

John
John MK

Re: Sky watcher eq3 pro mount, not aligning

Postby Aratus » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Sometimes people have problems because they haven't used the polarscope to align it first. You didn't mention using the polarscope so I thought it might be worth checking with you before going on to something else.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Sky watcher eq3 pro mount, not aligning

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Are you using the SkyScanInit App to give you the correct numbers to enter for latitude, longitude and time? It includes a Polaris view that helps when using the polarscope?

Have you tried detaching and reattaching the handset? If the connection is poor it can prevent it working correctly.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Equipment Advice