Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini Wifi Polar Scope Question

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini Wifi Polar Scope Question

Postby AntWick1974 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi there.

First time post so be gentle please.

I recently purchased a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer Mini Wifi Astro Imaging mount for use with my existing DSLR camera.

The bundle I purchased included a dovetail bracket to attach 2 imaging items at a time.
The dovetail bracket also allows the polar alignment scope to be left attached to the mount during imaging rather than having to remove this prior to attaching your camera etc. and risking knocking the setup out of alignment.

My specific question relates to the scope illuminator supplied with the polar alignment scope. And is pretty much directed at persons who are using this mount/setup themselves.

I have not found a way to have the illuminator attached to the polar scope whilst the dovetail bracket is in place.
Also, as part of the illuminator, there is a second piece of plastic for which I can not find a use. It has tabs which seem to locate into the space in the middle of the dovetail bracket but there is no way of fixing this in place, to either the bracket or the polar scope, so I am unsure of it's use.

The instructions do not seem to give detail of how to use the illuminator with the dovetail bracket, they only mention that the bracket allows the polar scope to be kept attached to the mount.

Many thanks in advance.
AntWick1974

Re: Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini Wifi Polar Scope Questi

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi and welcome.

I think the little bit of plastic is supposed to fit in the slot of the bracket, but it doesn't do it very well.
I bought a 3D printed adapter that fits properly. It was on eBay from a French seller, and cost a few euros.
Whether it's worth it is another matter. I often just shine my red headtorch into the open end of the polarscope. It can be easier to do it that way as you can vary the relative brightness more easily.
Mine's not the Mini, but the principle is the same.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby AntWick1974 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:59 pm

I just had a proper look at the illuminator and you are correct... it seats inside the bracket, but not too well as you mention...and the illuminator doesn’t fit inside the second bit of plastic too well either.
I don’t suppose you have a link to the part you got from eBay? Just so I could have a look
Thanks for your help.
AntWick1974

Postby AntWick1974 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm

In fact, I think I have found it
AntWick1974

Postby AntWick1974 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 am

Gfamily2 wrote:Hi and welcome.

I think the little bit of plastic is supposed to fit in the slot of the bracket, but it doesn't do it very well.
I bought a 3D printed adapter that fits properly. It was on eBay from a French seller, and cost a few euros.
Whether it's worth it is another matter. I often just shine my red headtorch into the open end of the polarscope. It can be easier to do it that way as you can vary the relative brightness more easily.

Hi Gfamily2,
I found that 3D printed item... looks quite good... another thing he made which looked to be useful was a part to allow you to connect a Seagull right-angled viewer to the Polar Scope. My being over 6 foot makes it a little tricky when trying to use the alignment scope. This would solve that problem.
AntWick1974

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:56 am

AntWick1974 wrote:
Gfamily2 wrote:Hi and welcome.

Hi Gfamily2,
I found that 3D printed item... looks quite good... another thing he made which looked to be useful was a part to allow you to connect a Seagull right-angled viewer to the Polar Scope. My being over 6 foot makes it a little tricky when trying to use the alignment scope. This would solve that problem.

That sounds good - I have seen people using old film tubs and similar to make a connector, I was fortunate to get a tripod that is both solid and tall enough to not need a right angle viewer.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Equipment Advice