Sky-Watcher Telescope Advice

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Sky-Watcher Telescope Advice

Postby justinmc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi!

I am thinking of upgrading my current basic scope to something new and I'm a bit confused...

The scopes which interest me are the Startravel 120mm or the Evostar 120mm. Both are in my price range of £250 - £350.

I want a good all round scope which will also enable me to do some amateur photography (mostly through a smart phone).

What are peoples thoughts? I am not very knowledgeable about the differences in these scopes so any advice would be most welcome!!

Thanks in advance for the help!
justinmc

Re: Sky-Watcher Telescope Advice

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi and welcome.

The main difference between the two scopes is their focal ratio, with the Evostar being f/8.3 and the StarTravel being f/5

The difference means that the StarTravel will have a wider maximum field of view, and the Evostar will give you a bigger image of objects at the eyepiece.

You might be tempted to go for the 'more magnification' that the Evostar offers, but I would caution that while you can use a more powerful eyepiece to give you the same magnification, a wider field of view is not something you can easily get with the Evostar. A wider field of view is helpful for a couple of reasons - firstly it makes things easier to find, and secondly a lot of objects such as star clusters look a lot more impressive when surrounded by the less sparse sprinkling of background stars.

The main downside of the shorter focal length design is that it may give you a bit of Chromatic Aberration, which is seen as bright colour fringes around bright objects. If you google reviews of the StarTravel you can see whether others have found this to be a problem.

Neither is particularly good for Astrophotography - but if you're using a phone camera, you should be able to get moon images with either.
If you were to move up to a motor driven mount at a future date, the StarTravel would have the edge as it produces a brighter image (albeit smaller) so the exposure times would be less.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby justinmc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank you so much for the advice - really appreciate it.
I think I'll go for the ST. I think anything might look better than the 700mm x 60mm I have at present.
justinmc

Postby justinmc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:10 am

Just another question...

If I was go to for the Skyline 200p Dob instead of the ST would this be a good future proof purchase?
justinmc

Postby Aratus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:00 pm

A Dobsonian is a different kind of telescope designed for faint deep-sky objects. 8" is a good size. Keeping the telescope on an object is more difficult though. Photography isn't really an option. Carting it around is more difficult I wouldn't call an 8" Dobsonian necessarily an 'upgrade' from a 5" refractor. It is more of a sideways move!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby EIZO » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:34 pm

There is no such thing as a future proof telescope, a perfect telescope all telescopes are a compromise.

Join a club, try many out and get what is best for your needs
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:16 pm

You can use either telescope for astrophotography. What you cannot use them for is long exposure astrophotography. There's a load that you can photograph with short exposures, like the Moon and planets. I've even managed some deep sky photography without a driven mount.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice