Skymax 127 vs Celestron C6-S (XLT)

Skymax 127 vs Celestron C6-S (XLT)

Postby kev » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new telescope and I was going to go for a [b]Sky-Watcher Skymax 127 Supatrak[/b] (motorised tracking but not go to)

I can get one of these for about [b]£260[/b]

I've now seen a couple of ad's for a [b]Celestron C6-S (XLT)[/b] on a CG-5 equatorial mount (no tracking)

I can get one of these for about [b]£345[/b]

The Celestron has a larger aperture, 150mm compared to the 127mm of the Skymax, and it's a [u]Schmidt[/u]-Cassegrain where the Skymax is a [u]Maksutov[/u]-Cassegrain.

I'll be using the scope for viewing planets and nebulae and will regularly be driving to suitably dark locations, so that's why I thought some kind of Cassegrain would be best, as they're compact yet powerful.

Can anyone please let me know which would be the better of the 2 scopes I'm looking at, or even suggest an alternative in the £300 price bracket ?
At the moment I'm swaying towards the Skymax as it's £85 cheaper and comes with 2 lenses plus a 2 x Barlow, where-as the Celestron only comes with one lens. (the Skymax has also got the motorised tracking), [b][u]BUT[/u][/b], will the Celestron considerably out-perform the Skymax ?

Any advice/info anyone could give will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much
kev

RE: Skymax 127 vs Celestron C6-S (XLT)

Postby brianb » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:56 pm

[quote]will the Celestron considerably out-perform the Skymax ?
[/quote]
Considerably? No, but noticeably on deep sky objects. However the Maksutov design is better suited to planets - longer focal length means more comfortable eyepieces, and the design has less central obstruction so better contrast, which compensates for the slight lack of aperture to a considerable extent - and commercial Maks seem to be in general a bit better optically than Schmidts, which makes up the rest of the difference.

It's a hard call. No scope is ideal for all targets ... if you're more interested in planets, get the Skymax; if you're more interested in DSOs, get the Celestron. Neither is a bad scope. Incidentally the drive motors can be added later to the Celestron, and I wouldn't worry about the eyepieces that come with the scope - if you have no "legacy" eyepieces then a set like the Celestron Eye Opener is good value for money; and using the range of EPs in it will tell you more clearly than my advice what speciality EPs you may want as your experience grows and your interests change.

brianb

Postby kev » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Brian
Thanks very much.
I'll see if anyone else has any comments and if not I'll go for the Skymax.
Thanks again
Kev
kev

Postby uea74 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:26 pm

And there's me thinking someone might be selling a scope, or even 2, both of which I would have been interested in.
uea74

Postby koslis » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Trust me, the auto tracking will save you a lot of headache in the times to come. Besides, it's more accurate. If you know your star charts already, manual ones will do just as fine too.
koslis

Postby philip pugh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:10 am

Think you might find this helpful:

[url=http://philippugh.fortunecity.com/Owner.html]http://philippugh.fortunecity.com/Owner.html[/url]
philip pugh

Postby surrounded_by_water » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Kev

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new telescope and I was going to go for a [b]Sky-Watcher Skymax 127 Supatrak[/b] (motorised tracking but not go to)

I can get one of these for about [b]£260[/b]

I've now seen a couple of ad's for a [b]Celestron C6-S (XLT)[/b] on a CG-5 equatorial mount (no tracking)

I can get one of these for about [b]£345[/b]

The Celestron has a larger aperture, 150mm compared to the 127mm of the Skymax, and it's a [u]Schmidt[/u]-Cassegrain where the Skymax is a [u]Maksutov[/u]-Cassegrain.

I'll be using the scope for viewing planets and nebulae and will regularly be driving to suitably dark locations, so that's why I thought some kind of Cassegrain would be best, as they're compact yet powerful.

Can anyone please let me know which would be the better of the 2 scopes I'm looking at, or even suggest an alternative in the £300 price bracket ?
At the moment I'm swaying towards the Skymax as it's £85 cheaper and comes with 2 lenses plus a 2 x Barlow, where-as the Celestron only comes with one lens. (the Skymax has also got the motorised tracking), [b][u]BUT[/u][/b], will the Celestron considerably out-perform the Skymax ?

Any advice/info anyone could give will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much

[/quote]

Hi Kev, I bought the Celestron that you are talking about from David Hinds. The CG5 is a fantastic mount, and I have yet to be disappointed by the scope, this is my first scope however, but suits what I wanted. It's very easy to move around, I bought the Skywatcher Goto upgrade kit and I really have not looked back since. I guess my reasoning to buy the Celestron was initially the mount, which is a pricey item anyway and once you get hold of the CG5 and it's 2" legs, you know you have got something of quality. I'm still quite new to this but for what it's worth I bought it, and I really like it alot, speaking to a shop/forum/club is very helpful but also information overload I found. Even so, thid forum helped me make up my mind.
surrounded_by_water

Return to Binoculars & Scopes