skywatcher 10" dob with camera

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

skywatcher 10" dob with camera

Postby archiebear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi All
New member just bought a skywatcher 10" flextube dob without GOTO has any member with this scope attached a dslr for photography. I have a canon 7d mk 11 & 70d i use these on my 8" edge HD with goto.
As this scope do's not track what setting are you using i know i wont be able to take multiple exposures
but single shots of moon and planets my be ok i see a lot of photos from this scope but i believe thay must be tracking. kind regards archie
archiebear

Re: skywatcher 10" dob with camera

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi Archie.
With your Edge HD, I assume you use a t-ring to mount the camera body directly to the scope, so there's no eyepiece nor a camera lens, yes?
I strongly suspect that type of photography won't be possible with your Dobsonian - unless the scope has been specifically designed for AP, you won't be able to get the focused image directly onto the dSLR sensor, as it's too far back from the focuser.
You might consider replacing the focuser with a low profile one, or you could move the primary mirror cell a few cm forward, but that's a big step when you're still only going to get a marginally useful scope for AP.

However, you can get a combination Barlow lens and t-adapter (from Celestron) that will both give you somewhere to mount your camera, and also (because of the barlow) move the focal point of the telescope forward - so you might be able to focus the image on your camera. If this works, it gives you extra magnification on your image (thanks to the Barlow), which can be good on the Moon.

Another option is to use eyepiece projection, which uses a tube that connects to your t-mount on your camera (i.e. without its own lens) and is also wide enough to take a 1.25" eyepiece - the eyepiece then focuses the image onto the camera sensor

A third is to use both an eyepiece and a camera lens, known as 'afocal' photography, similar to how people take photographs on their camera phones down the eyepiece.

Here's a summary of the methods for getting an image on your camera sensor - Methods 1 and 2 won't work with your new scope I'm afraid, but you can try the others.
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=85

If you have a local astronomy society, someone may have some of the pieces you need to see if you can get these to work.

Best of luck
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 am

You can take photos of the brighter deep sky objects without GOTO. You just need a shorter exposure time. You can also take multiple exposures if you move the telescope between shots when required. Sometimes you don't need to move the #scope after every shot, as stacking and stitching applications will take care of this.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby archiebear » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you gfamily2 & iron roof for your advice, i am very greatful will be looking at the add on i can use regards focus and also the exposure time and stacking once again thanks for being very helpful kind regards to you both archie
archiebear

Return to Equipment Advice