Skywatcher Evostar 120

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

Skywatcher Evostar 120

Postby jonathan turner » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 am

What can i say about it,wow a brilliant long focal length scope for the price.Compared to my old 6 inch i would say the 120 was better.Best designed for moon and planets but equally at home on DSO's,although i does'nt perform well on deep sky imaging with a DSLR over a faster scope.The rack and pinion focuser is very smooth and the new black and white paint work make the scope look more expensive than it really is.For a refractor it is lightweight and my EQ5 handles it easily,but the dovetail plate i felt was too short so exchanged it for a longer one.
At Kelling Heath deep sky objects were a dream to see, M13 and other globulars in sparkling detail as were nebulas all in 2 inch eyspieces.The lunar surface detail is stunning as are the cloud delts of Jupiter, and even detail on Mars including the polar ice caps.To sum up dont be afraid to buy this scope if you are a visual or like the moon and planets.If you are well into deep sky imaging,then you will be disappointed as frames come out darker than with an f/5,which is what you'd expect as the Evostar is an f/8.
Well worth the money and it looks quite impressive on the mount too:-)
jonathan turner

Re: Skywatcher Evostar 120

Postby beanerds » Thu May 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Yes , there is something special about the 5 inch refractors ( goldylocks scopes ) and the 120 Evostar is amongst the best , my iStar 127mm f8 performs brilliantly as well and it gets lots of photons .

Beanerds.
Celestron C9.25 on Celestron CI700 mount .
iStar 127mm f8 refractor .
Saxon 100mm f10 on Vixen SP mount .
Long Perng 60mm f7 triplet on EQ2 mount .

A few others and lots of eyepieces
beanerds

Return to First Light and Group Test