Switch to mobile style

Skywatcher Explorer 150P Review

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

Skywatcher Explorer 150P Review

Postby MarkC86 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi,
Looking to buy my first serious telescope and looked at a Skywatcher Explorer 150P with EQ3-2 mount, just about the right compromise for my needs.
This months review of the 200 and an older review of the 130PM blow the review of the 150P out of the water. Why is the 6" version of this scope so inferior when compared to the 5" & 8" versions, especially optically.

Any comments, recommendations , experiences this or similar scopes would be most welcome.

Thanks
MarkC86

RE: Skywatcher Explorer 150P Review

Postby brianb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 pm

My personal recommendation would be the 150PL - the longer focus version; reason, the longer focal length means it's easier to collimate & more likely to stay collimated, and is better suited to budget range eyepieces.

Logic also implies that f/8 paraboloids are easier to manufacture accurately than short focus ones.

Remember that mass produced scopes are somewhat variable in optical quality, unless you evaluate a number of examples of each model it's not really possible to differentiate between optical quality. I've seen this in "group reviews" where what are obviously the same scope bearing different brand names have received very different marks for optical performance.

If you want really good optics, guaranteed, buy a scope from Orion Optics (UK) and pay the hefty premium for the 1/10 wave PV optic set.

brianb

RE: Skywatcher Explorer 150P Review

Postby MarkC86 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Thanks Brian,
Appreciate and fully understand your comments regarding the variable quality of optics and reviews alike. Funnily enough I found the Orion Optics website just after posting my query, I'm giving them a serious looking at.....out of my current price bracket but when has that stopped anyone from buying.

Thanks again
MarkC86

Return to First Light and Group Test