Skywatcher skyhawk synscan telescope 1145p

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Skywatcher skyhawk synscan telescope 1145p

Postby Kimy160788 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Hello there I've juat got this for chirstmas now I've always been into stars plants etc.
I got this fir Christmas and I have a few scopes (eye pieces) x5 barlow lens x3 barlow lens super 10mm but what can I get to actually see the planets please I can see the moon perfectly but planets still looks like stars. Thank you for your help
Kimy160788

Re: Skywatcher skyhawk synscan telescope 1145p

Postby Aratus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:34 pm

This is a 4.5 " f/5 reflector. Your 10mm eyepiece with a 3x barlow will give you x150 which will be more than enough to see the bright planets as discs. If they still look like stars you are probably looking at stars and not one of the planets.

Make sure your spotter scope is aligned correctly, perhaps by using the moon. Jupiter is very bright in the east soon after night fall, and is pretty unmistakable. I suggest you manually slew the telescope to Jupiter and check you can see it alright.

Have you worked out how to align the 'goto' computer on the mount correctly? If not it won't go to the correct object when you select it.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Kimy160788 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:51 pm

I haven't really used the remote as to yet as I'm unsure how to use it right. I type in where I am and where the objects I want to see but it doesn't go right way I don't know if I've done it right obviously I haven't but I need to learn how to use that right. I found Jupiter but I couldnt see it very good I could tell it was Jupiter but it was tiny.
Have you got any suggestions to help me I'd really appreciate it as I'm a learner to all this and finding it difficult to find the perfect eye pieces and scopes thanks so much
Kimy160788

Postby Aratus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 pm

A computerised telescope needs to know where it is, and the time and date. It then needs to know where in the sky it is pointing at. That normally involves pointing the telescope at stars. Either you tell the computer what those stars are, or it works it out for itself. Once that it done it is aligned, and you can select an object and it will go straight to it. The manual will tell you the various steps. There really isn't a short cut to this.

You say that you found Jupiter, but how did you know it was Jupiter? If you hadn't aligned the telescope correctly it won't point to Jupiter when you ask it to. You can manually point it to Jupiter if you know where it is. Jupiter won't look large in a 4.5" telescope even with maximum usable magnification, (around x200) but you should see a white flattened disc with some banding detail, and of course its attendant moons, which will look like bright stars. The 10mm eyepiece with the 3 x barlow will give a good view at x150

It will look something like this . . .
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to General