Skywatcher Startravel 102 or 120 which one?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

RE: Skywatcher Startravel 102 or 120 which one?

Postby brianb » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:56 pm

[quote]there appears a reluctance to advise people that buying pre owned from a reputable dealer or from members here is acceptable. [/quote]
Good point ... actually there must be a lot of beginners' scopes that are perfectly OK but never get used for one reason or another.

Could I also make the point that membership of a local astronomical society will give you access to people who can help you assess second hand scopes, also direct access to people in your area who may be looking to "trade up", want to sell their old equipment and will be able to show you how to use it effectively.

But I wouldn't trust eBay/Paypal to give you much protection from equipment with faulty optics as what is "acceptable" is hard to measure, especially since real observing conditions are usually imperfect. There is, unfortunately, a history of cheap scopes with really ropey optics being sold on eBay. This applies to new sales as well as second hand.

brianb

Postby brianb » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:56 pm

[quote]what about the 102 seperately with an EQ5 the cost is'nt too bad £179 for the scope and £199 for the mount £378 for both from telescopeplanet? cheers. [/quote]
That makes lots of sense. Just check that the tube assembly includes the mounting hardware (dovetail and/or rings) otherwise add those into the cost.

brianb

Postby pulsar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks brianb i checked the specs of the 102 and it does come supplied with rings which leads to another question which is better the plate or the rings would'nt the plate be a more stable platform these are cheap enough £15-£20 or so, so not much difference there, probably useful to have both i suppose?. cheers[;)]
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby brianb » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:36 pm

[quote]i checked the specs of the 102 and it does come supplied with rings[/quote]
But does it include the dovetail bar? The rings need something to attach to - and I think the Synta/Skywatcher mounts come with just a V block to accept a dovetail bar. Better check with the supplier. Also check which bar you need, the "standard" 21cm one may be too long for a short focus scope, there is a 15cm one as well (and a much longer 33.5cm one). Why pay extra then have to cut & drill?

brianb

Postby pulsar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:36 pm

That makes sense i'll check it out.
thanks[;)]
pulsar

Postby pulsar » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:36 am

Can't seem to find out online so i'll have to call optical vision or telescope planet.

[&:][&:][&:] Perplexed [&:][&:][&:]
pulsar

Previous

Return to Equipment Advice