So how did you get in to this nutty hobby of ours?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

So how did you get in to this nutty hobby of ours?

Postby big dipper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:33 am

I was about 2 years older (i.e. 8 yrs old) than Sir Patrick when I got into this hobby of ours. I remember my father showing my the 'Pole star' one evening. I was dead impressed to see such a bright star, shimmering away in the south western sky as it slowly set. It wasn't until several years later that I clicked that what he had shown me was the planet Venus!! [&:]

Like many people, I have Sir Patrick to thank for getting me in to this hobby. As a child of the 70's, there was no internet & all learning had to be done by books. Patrick Moore's many publications brought the hobby of astronomy to life & I shall always be indebted to him. I suspect that many reading this thread will have a similar story to tell.

............So thanks Sir P & may you continue to rule the waves for a long time to come. [:)]
big dipper

RE: So how did you get in to this nutty hobby of ours?

Postby damien » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:40 pm

I am very fortunate that I have lived my entire life (and still do) in Australia - and often spent many a weekend and family trip in areas where there was not light pollution at all.

The sky virtually exploded with the heavens.

Always been fascinated with the planets
damien

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:56 pm

Well I got into this crazy hobby when I was about twelve (45 now!) and was ill in bed. As a treat my mum let me watch late night telly and I watched my first episode of the Sky At Night. I found myself, much to my mothers annoyance, standing looking at the night sky from the window and have been hooked ever since!
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:56 pm

I started getting into astronomy when i was 6 (am 19 now) and started with a small telescope, when i was older i got a celestron and last year i got the ETX 90 which am very fortunate to have and adore the thing! Am fascinated with everything above, and want to find more out there!
sonia

Postby Samg246 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:13 pm

Only in the recent past to be honest-since I've had more time to gaze upwards! The magazine combined with sessions at my local astronomy group has been a real help to help me learn more as time goes on. The internet is a great source of content and information sharing, but theres no substitute for seeing things with your own eyes.
Samg246

Postby nozzmoking » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:46 pm

Similar to you guys really.

Child of the 50's and remember seeing the first satellites (60's?) and thought they were slow shooting stars!

Apart from seeing objects for the first time, my favourite moments these days are seeing those very faint meteorites shoot across the field of view in my scope.

I'm dying to get into astrophotography and hoping this forum can answer the questions I need to know before splashing out the houskeeping on a new scope!

Noz.
nozzmoking

Postby sky_at_night » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:36 pm

As a small boy I often with my family went to Ireland to visit relatives during the summer holidays. One year one of my uncles was driving us back to his house were we had been staying late at night and I was staring out of the window at the pitch black of the night that only seems to exists on the west coast of Ireland. I excitedly announced I saw a couple of shooting stars. My uncle asked me to start counting them. Too our amazement they were appearing thick and fast even my sister and mother joined in. When we arrived home, a house in that has neighbours that are half a mile up the road we stood outside for half an hour watching blazing shooting stars in a sky glowing with the countless unimagainable number of stars of the Galaxy. After this and by accident I discoved 'Sky At Night' on television and as far as my mother is concerned Patrick has a lot to answer for when it comes to getting up for school on a Monday morning. Since then I developed a curiosity and passion for our extended surroundings.

As I hit my twenties I developed a new curiosity for sex, drugs and rock and roll but even coming out of a night club at 5am in the winter I often found myself looking up at the night sky recognising constellations and the planets. Pointing them out to my friends who just gave me a funny look out of the corner of their eyes.

In my early thirties I was fourtunate enough to have spent a couple of years working in SE Asia. The night sky once again in the unpolluted skies of Borneo caught my attention starting with THE COMET fever that spread around the expats. One particular night whilst climbing Mt Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia we were making our final accent to the summit by torch light before sunrise so that we could witness the sunrise from a vantage point not may get to experience. During the accent our guide suggested we take a rest at just over ten thousand feet the air is thin and hiking is a labour. Sitting down and for the first time looking out over the tops of the clouds lit by a half cresant moon and slowly rasing my eyes further and further up until the full glory of the milky way stun me. At high altitude far away for city lights it took my breath away which is easy to do at ten thousand feet but I did gasp aloud in astonishment, my girlfriend also. This sparked in me once again a curiosity about the objects that make up such an unimagineable sight...

My girl friend at the time is now my wife and lifes more settled as am I in my hobby. My wife and I shared a moment which in her own way she understands but in me is still unanswered, some questions going as far back as my childhood.

Kevin.

sky_at_night

Postby weasel » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:13 pm

My mother bought me a copy of Sky at Night magazine and i became very interested. i joined my school's astronomy club and borrowed a telescope from them. The first thing that I saw was the moon and i have been interested ever since.
weasel

Postby fazerjay » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:10 pm

7 years old and living in New Zealand, I got a 70mm refractor. Fondest memories are watching the dance of the moons around Jupiter. Died off after awhile when we moved back to the UK. While in the Royal Navy used to use the old mk1 eyeball form the flight deck when we were at sea.
Ex wifey got me a cheap 114x500 Tasco(from Argos) for Xmas about 10 ytears ago and my interest was reignighted.
With circustances dictating that I can not spend what I wanted and given the pour site I was at plus the terrible optics my active interest died off.
About 3 years ago I started getting the mags again and with a new significant other and home was able to get a Meade ETX70.

Started observing about once a month with no real plan until a few weeks ago when a change of job now means I can get out to observe a couple of times a week with an old 114x900 reflector that I have aquired. Mars is my interest while I learn/iron out my techniques/setup for observing from the back garden.

The peace and clam of observing helps remove the stress from our modern life plus the wonder of the night sky makes me glad I started again
fazerjay

Postby suzukishoes » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:43 pm

Well I am a real newbee! I have always had an interest, my Dad did a bit when I was young and although I don't remember much its surprising how many who wants to be a millionaire questions I somehow know the answer to[:D]

So finally last Christmas my wife brought me a little scope to get me started! Not much use only for the moon! I only went out 2-3 times but this october funds finally allowed for a second hand 6" refractor.
so I am at the basic stage! of learning the sky. So as to How did I get into this nutty hobby was it my dad or my Wife who knows All I know is I am a Nutter too!

Lee

suzukishoes

Next

Return to General