So how do you 'view' the sky?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

So how do you 'view' the sky?

Postby big dipper » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 pm

I thought it would be interesting to get an idea on how members here 'view' the sky. By that I mean are you a tradionalist & view the sky using an eyepiece - or do you tend to view the sky 'electronically' using a laptop & so on.

I'm definitely a tradionalist & use an eyepiece. But that is only because I still use film & using the eyepice helps to centre the DSO without me then having to change the focus (both eyepiece & SLR reach focus at the same point).

I suppose there are arguements for both arrangements & I don't mean for this thread to start a debate on which method is 'best'. Just curious to see what the general split is between the two methods.
big dipper

RE: So how do you 'view' the sky?

Postby petrolight » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:13 pm

i view the night sky with eyepieces usualy, but when using my PST i tend to use my
meade lpi.
petrolight

Postby daveb » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:46 pm

Hi,
Just this second joined forum and this is the first thread read.
I am currently viewing with eyepieces but intend to upgrade my telescope and also go "electronic" as well.
daveb

Postby col » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:56 pm

hi all,im an eyepiece person myself, i like just looking and trying to find things, reason being im relatively new to scope s, been an armchair for a long time,but im now dusting off my old scope from the attic(tal 100) and got myself a startravel 150 not so long ago, im going to try holding my cam to the eyepiece sometime but otherwise just enjoy looking at the moment.[8|]
col

Postby deeds » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:26 pm

It has to be an eyepiece for me. I have tried the electronic way which is ok for a change and photography but nothing beats actually looking at an object yourself
deeds

Postby big dipper » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:13 am

Deeds, I agree with your viewpoint 100% [:)]
big dipper

Postby grayebb » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:26 am

Using eyepieces at present. But then I am a total noob. I hope to upgrade from my photo tripod to a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro at some point so I can attach my camera and get into the world of astrophotography. That said, the wonders of the night sky are best viewed with your own eyes. Also, I runs Macs at home and getting decent software to view/guide electronically seems to be a royal pain in the a**e.[:'(]

John[:)][:)][:)]
grayebb

Return to General