So what equipment do you own?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

So what equipment do you own?

Postby big dipper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:50 am

Be interesting to see how we all enjoy the night sky! Of course, to do so, all you need is a pair of eyes. Costly equipment is by no means essential.

I'm lucky insofar that I've been the proud owner of an 11" Celestron SCT for the past 14 years. I chose this particular telescope after reading widely & bearing in mind that my main pursuit was going to be the challenge of film based astrophotography. The telescope creaks somewhat now when I move it about (bit like its owner!) but I wouldn't part with it for anything.

I also own a pair of Tasco (yes, Tasco! [&o]) 10X50 binoculars which, in fact, have served me well for many years.

My final main piece of equipment is an obsolete ST4 CCD autoguider from SBIG. This has been a life saver for doing film-based guided astrophotography.

A shot of my scope in its tin-shed 'observatory'.

[image]http://www.mackenzie1963.freeserve.co.uk/images/scope.jpg[/image]
big dipper

RE: So what equipment do you own?

Postby big dipper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:50 am

..............And a shot of the most run-down, clapped-out looking 'observatory' (which I call 'The Tardiss') in the UK. [&o] Note the bits of binliner used to plug the many gaps round the edges. Still, it's done the biz since I erected it back in 1992. [:)]

[image]http://www.mackenzie1963.freeserve.co.uk/images/tardiss.jpg[/image]
big dipper

Postby nozzmoking » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:30 pm

Hi Big Dipper,

Nice bit of kit you have there. Looking forward to seeing some of your pics posted for us all to enjoy.

I'm still at the 6" Newtonion stage but hoping to pick up some tips here as I'm looking to buy a guided scope at some stage (up to around the 1k mark).

With so many scopes on the market it's difficult to know what scope would make a big enough difference to what I'm seeing now.

I'm sure it won't take long for me to find the answers to my questions here.

Noz.

nozzmoking

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:30 pm

I use the ETX 90 EC GOTO
sonia

Postby keithmorris » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:53 pm

What equipment have I got? Gosh, where to start? I have 2 setsof binoculars 20x50 and a zoom pair 10-30 x35, I have a Tasco 60mm refracter, a Tasco 114mm reflector, a Seben 6" reflector and my pride and joy a Meade LXD75 10" SNT with Autostar![:D]
keithmorris

Postby iainmoore » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Well, I own a Meade LX200 8" F6.3. I also have aMeade dsi and an Atik camera. I built my own power box as i have a dark site i go to on a regular basis. This is a pic of my `quick` setup - temp was about -5 degrees c. Got some good pics that night. Scope is controlled by Starry night Pro 5.

[image]local://35/70F7C3890D9647A7A64955300BCCC9C9.jpg[/image]
iainmoore

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:06 pm

My alias rather gives the game away! I am fortunate in having a domed observatory in my garden although my equipment is relatively low budget:-

Skywatcher 10" Reflector
Skywatcher 80mm APO Refractor
Skywatcher 80mm Achro Refractor for autoguiding
The above mounted on a Skywatcher EQ6 SkyScan Mount on a Pulsar Pier
I also have a Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount that I use as my 'grab and go' system in conjunction with the 80mm APO
For guiding I use a Philips Toucam Pro Webcam and a home built LX200 emulator
For imaging I use a Canon EOS 300d DSLR

[image]http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/dome_scopes_2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/install16.jpg[/image]
Chanctonbury

Postby andyrawlins » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:06 pm

Here is my LX90 8" the other night. The batery that powers the dew heaters failed, and the poor thing frosted over. A second batery was pressed into action, but that soon went flat as well. It could have been worse though - I could have frosted over too! [:D] The most important equipment I own is hat, gloves, coat.......

[image]http://www.abig1.com/astro/PC070156.jpg[/image]
andyrawlins

Postby geoff3323 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:56 pm

I am a total beginner to astronomy and have started with a Jessops 114mm telescope,
I have taken up astronomy as a hobby to take me away from the stresses of life at work.
I must admit I did not know much about the heavens, but I am enjoying learning.
I have bought a few good books and star charts and have the Starry Night Beginner software on my computer.
The photos that I see on your postings are mind blowing, but the pleasure I got when I first spotted Saturn for the first time was fantastic.
I have enjoyed viewing the moon and have taken some good photos with my digital camera through the telescope eyepiece of various moon phases.
I have even seen sun spots.
I am just getting the hang of star hopping to view other marvels of our heavens.
I have a long way to go to get to you guys. but I know it will be a pleasurable trip.
geoff3323

Postby dellboy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:46 pm

hi all
i have a celestron 8 inch newtonian reflector on an german eq5 mount,with a pair of battery driven clock drives for astro photography.
my basic premise when buying was not only a budget,but also portability,i know we all suffer from light pollution but it becomes a bit frustrating looking through the glare of heathrow every night.
but my astro club has a darkish site at high wycombe and the newt is easily transported and set up in the dark.
but as you get more and more equipment you soon need a bigger car?!
dellboy

Next

Return to General