SOFTWARE

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

SOFTWARE

Postby david burrowes » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:46 pm

[size=3][font=arial]Hi what terrible weather, wish it would clear up a bit. Question: When Astro shooting with my SLR I usually employ a filter to enhance my shot, My question is this; Is there any software or plug-in's for Photoshop CS2 (or may be there is and I don’t know about it ) that will process the shot to the same or similar extent that a filter can. For example, a Baader “Fringe-Killer” Filter stops or reduces different parts of the spectrum i.e.: Violet at 500 nm and infra red below 700 nm would or can software be able to do the same job with out a filter. Can any one advise?[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial] [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial]Thanks [/font][/size]David
david burrowes

RE: SOFTWARE

Postby Chanctonbury » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:20 pm

David,

Have a look at these excellent tools from [url=http://actions.home.att.net/Astronomy_Tools.html] Noel Carboni[/url]
Chanctonbury

Postby robin_astro » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi David,

Post processing can help to some extent but cannot mimic the effects of filters exactly. The problem is you only have three different colour sensors in a DSLR camera, sensive to the short (blue) the medium (green) and long (red) wavelength regions of the spectrum. A filter can be much more selective and eg just cut out the narrow region from a sodium street lamp or the exteme short wavelength violet colours while still allowing blue through which the fringe killer does. It is a bit like the difference between having just bass and treble controls and having a graphic equaliser on an audio system
(BTW the fring killer cuts off violet below about 400nm not 500nm that is in the blue/green part of the spectrum)

Robin
robin_astro

Postby david burrowes » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:20 pm

[size=2]Hi Steve & Robin, Thanks for the info. I have downloaded and used the software from Noel Carboni and I find it to be a useful tool for enhancing some of my shots taken with out filters, and some taken with. The software can enhance light polluted images quite successfully but I do agree that using a filter when shooting will give better overall results. I currently use a Baader Neodynium filter that works very well and will expand my filter collection when funds allow.[/size]
[size=3][font="times new roman"]Thanks again.[/font][/size]
[size=3][font="times new roman"] [/font][/size]
[size=3][font="times new roman"]Best wishes[/font][/size]
David
david burrowes

Return to General