some advice on this tracking mount

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

some advice on this tracking mount

Postby Trevor Does Not Exist » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Im looking at getting this at xmas. will it be ok for a fuji XT1, and what you guys think of it as a beginner camera tracker?

The Orion Adventures in Astrophotography Bundle includes:

Orion EQ-1 Equatorial mount and tripod
Orion EQ-1M electronic motor drive
Orion 1/4"-20 adapter for EQ-1 mount (for attachment of camera)
Warranty
Attachments
mjkm.png
mjkm.png (76.46 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Trevor Does Not Exist

Re: some advice on this tracking mount

Postby Aratus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:45 pm

If you are wanting to take tracked photos of the night's sky it will work fine (as long as it is aligned correctly) Some might think it is bit of an over-kill since it is capable of far more accurate tracking and exposure lengths that you can possibly use with most camera lenses, but you can always use it with a telescope at a later date. If you take it to a nice dark sky site you should get some really good photos.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Trevor Does Not Exist » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:51 pm

thank you. i do plan to get a telescope at a later date, but im only on £2.60 an hour and only 2 days a week, so i cant afford a telescope atm but will one day. unfortunatly no car but if i go a mile up the road there is a place with a LOT lower light pollution than normal. are their any camera filters for light pollution?
Trevor Does Not Exist

Postby Aratus » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:43 pm

When taking long exposures of the night sky, tracking is obviously an issue, but light pollution is another. You can buy a good tracking mount like this but light pollution will soon wipe out any detail. Processing the image afterwards, getting rid of the orange cast, and increasing contrast can help. Taking a set of images with shorter exposure times but then stacking them with special software can also yield better results. Light pollution filters can make a big difference, but large ones to fit in front of a camera lens are very expensive. Clip in filters even more so. (£300?)
In fact you only need to have the filter glass in the light path. So I have successfully used a 1.25" filter fixed with blu-tak to the front or to the rear of the lens. You have to be careful though. A suitable filter might be found for £50.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Trevor Does Not Exist » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:27 pm

ive been told 5 seconds is the max exposure using a fuji XT1 with a canon 50mm F1.8 lens with canon to fuji adaptor. is that about right using the 500 rule
Trevor Does Not Exist

Postby Aratus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:57 pm

It depends on where in the sky you are pointing the camera. The movement is slower the nearer to the celestial pole and at it's fastest at the celestial equator.

I seem to remember doing exposures of Orion of around 15 sec without any problems.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice