sorry same old question on a telescope for a new beginner!

sorry same old question on a telescope for a new beginner!

Postby browneyedgirl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Hello

sorry for this same boring message! I am a beginner and wanting to buy a telescope but I haven't a clue what one to get. I would like to be able to see Saturn and its rings clearly, the same for Jupiter the Moon etc.

I just dont know what to look for in a telescope. I have looked on the internet but it means nothing to me as some mention more on lens' and some mention more on reflectors. I really do not know where to start.

I think I would be disappointed spending money on a telescope and not being able to see much e.g. not being able to see the rings around Saturn properly but saying that I have NEVER looked through a telescope so maybe a small cheap one might be ok. Just I have watched "the sky at night" sometimes and when they mention telescopes for beginners some of the images (to me anyway) look a bit disappointing in that the image seems to be white blob - I just know I would be disappointed.

So could I please have your personal view as to what size telescope to get etc. Again apologies for the same old message!

Thank you for your time.
Marie
browneyedgirl

Re: sorry same old question on a telescope for a new beginne

Postby parus ater » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Forums would be very nasty places if they didn't like people asking newbie questions.
First off I know nothing about astronomy refractors so bare that in mind.
Planets, basically about focal length though aperture is also a necessary thing to have. Aprture is how much light gets in and focal length is basically how magnified the image will be with any specific eyepiece. The Rings of Saturn and the Cassini Division, Detail and the GRS on Jupiter - If that's what you want to be looking at amongst other things then I can tell you from personal experience that a 6"/150mm Newtonian Reflector will show you those.
Newtonian Reflectors do give you the most bang for your buck and you can get the most aperture for your money. They come on mounts and in Dobsonian form for a lot less money but basically the same telescope outside that. For the bottom end of what you want to see with this range I'd look at the Skywatcher range with the Explorer 150PL and the Dobsonian Skyliner 150P (which are the same tube)

Another front would be the SCT/Maksutov end of the spectrum. What they give you is a huuuuge amount of focal length for the size of the scope. You lose a bit of aperture for your £ but you gain a small form factor and long focal length so you get large sized images.

In terms of user experience the Maks can get a bit dew covered in moist and cold conditions and Newts need to have their mirrors aligned (which sounds intense but it's basically the same level of taxing as doing your hair in the morning once you get into it).

Have a look at these sites -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/

http://www.modernastronomy.com/

All of them are good and trusted vendors, have a shufty at what sort of money you want to spend and come back and ask more questions once you think you know what you're after. My personal leaning would be to direct you towards a Skyliner 200P dobsonian - as good as an all rounder as you can get for it's pricepoint.
parus ater

Postby dave.b » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:37 am

Sound advice.

If you can get to London, the Astrofest conference on Feb 8 & 9 usually has a good selection of exhibitors. It would also be worth seeing if you have a local astronomy club as they should be more than able to show you what can be seen with different instruments.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby browneyedgirl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Thank you so so much, this has really helped - I am looking forward to now purchasing my first telescope.
It is so nice to receive proper advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. Cant wait now.
Again thank you.
Marie
browneyedgirl

Postby parus ater » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Pleasure.
parus ater

Postby egtravers » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:41 am

I know its been a looooong time since you asked the question but I'm lazily wandering around my favourite forum and wonder what you eventually decided to buy, and was it a good choice?
regards
ET
egtravers

Return to Telescopes & Mounts