Southern Sky.

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Southern Sky.

Postby jsc248 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Gang,
I've never been so far south as to see the stars of the southern sky. Has anyone been far enough to see the southern cross or the Magellanic Clouds? If so how did you find it?
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Southern Sky.

Postby sftonkin » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:50 pm

I grew up in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), so it seemed "normal".

Then there's Omega Centauri and Eta Carinae....[8D]
sftonkin

Postby les » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:56 pm

HI All,
I've never trodden outside Europe,but my grandad who was in the navy told me of the coal black skies of the tropical seas where there was hardly any space between the stars. He once told me of the time he was on watch and he could see the pole star and the southern cross at the same time.
Regards Les.
les

Postby gammalog » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 pm

It is now a distinct possibilty that my daughter and her family will emigrate to Perth, W Australia.

If they do, then my wife and I will certainly be going out there on visits, so I will get to see the southern hemisphere night sky, which should be a memorable experience.

Dave
gammalog

Postby andrew short » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Our AS's President Jeff,spent four months with family in New Zealand last year and was awe struck by what he saw in the southern night sky.Mind you,just as we northern astronomers yearn to see the sights of the southern skies,many amateur astronomers down under told him that they would love to see ours.
I suppose as Stephen said it's all normal to them,the same as Ursa Major,Cassiopeia etc are to us,and we'd all love to see something new.
Andrew.
andrew short

Postby andyt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:36 pm

I spent 6 weeks on holiday in New Zealand back in 1998, and even though I wasn't really into astronomy at the time, one of my most vivid memories is of visiting a small cliff at night, to see some glow worms, and I couldn't tell where the glow worms stopped and the myriad of stars began. It was a truly awesome sight.

AndyT
andyt

Postby asterixhb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:06 pm

I went to Freemantle (Perth) and also Capetown 2 years ago, but as I was working, I didn't manage to get out of the cities. I did try and find the Southern Cross but even that eluded me. I doubt if I'll ever get the chance again. Ho hum!!

[image]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif[/image][/align]
asterixhb

Postby mel a » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:46 am

Coming from Australia I take the southern cross as being the trademark of crossing the border of north and south. On my last journey home I had the extremely lucky chance to view the southern cross from the plane, it was night and we were crossing the equator heading towards Singapore - I almost cried![:(]
Its true the skies are crowded with stars at night in Oz, even though I lived in the city, you could still glimpse the milky way in full glory. I showed my husband the stars last time we were there (he is British) and he could not believe the detail you could get from the naked eye and a pair of rubbish binoculars!!!

mel a

Postby andrew short » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:50 pm

Hi Susan,
I expect you were excited about seeing things in the northern skies that you could not see from Australia when you first came here.Do you find the observing as rewarding here as you did down under,now you've been here for some time?

Regards
Andrew.
andrew short

Postby mel a » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi Andrew

Hellishley confused is how I would put viewing the sky here. I live in London so it makes viewing very difficult with the naked eye. I am trying to get used to the way it looks, but I am pretty hopeless with finding things. Can only detect Orion and The Plough.. the rubbish weather doesnt help!! I am looking forward to summer and being out on the heath spotting stars - any tips on finding the North Star?

Susan
mel a

Next

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches