Space Movies

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

RE: Space Movies

Postby apollo creed » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm

I couldn't describe it all in a single forum post, but an intriguing space opera.

A good summary is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

I was also hooked on Defying Gravity and was gutted not to see the other planets because the surface of Venus was beautifully realised.

apollo creed

Postby kevr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi, Meteor was an old movie which I remember watching with my parents when a lot younger.
Had Sean Connery in. Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_(film)
Quite cold war'ish with the use of orbiting arsenals of nuclear rockets as well.

Not great but good fun watching it with Mum & Dad!

cheers
kevr

Postby lancashire astroguy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:03 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: KevR

Hi, Meteor was an old movie which I remember watching with my parents when a lot younger.
Had Sean Connery in.

[/quote]

For a modern update of "Meteor" I would recommend "Deep Impact" (1998) starring Morgan Freeman. It was released at about the same time as Armageddon, but is scientifically much more plausible. The comet is not "the size of Texas" (as Billy Bob Thornton says in Armageddon) and the Earth has a couple of years to prepare for its arrival, not a few weeks! Also, it covers the human story of how people would react to the impending doom in an interesting way.

Having said this, if you can switch off your knowledge of science, Armageddon is a fun film, as is "Independence Day" and "The Core".

James
lancashire astroguy

Postby andrewmott » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:56 pm

sunshine. Its beautiful and metaphorical. Not to mention the fantastic soundtrack by John Murphy [:)]
andrewmott

Postby clipperride » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:23 pm

One of the best things I have heard, rather than watched is "Earth Search" which was on BBC Radio 4 a long time ago, although I have it on "speaking book" audio cassette. It's a great story with some suprising plot twists.

As for films, I do like the "B" movie Dark Star, not the most factually correct space movie of all time, but an enjoyable movie none the less.

My all time favourites are the DVD boxed sets by Spacecraft Films which cover Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Shuttle flights and include all the footage available for each flight. My favourite is probably the "Mighty Saturns Volume 2 - Saturn V" which contains some wonderful footage including some filmed reports of the development of the booster. Although the Apollo 15 mission with its Rover TV coverage of the Lunar EVA is a close second.

Regards

Mark B.
clipperride

Postby nebogipfel » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:16 pm

[quote]
One of the best things I have heard, rather than watched is "Earth Search" which was on BBC Radio 4[/quote]

And Earthsearch 2 - Deathship ....

I agree, I loved it. (both were also published as books, now sadly out of print))
nebogipfel

Previous

Return to General