Space Shuttle & ISS in night sky

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Space Shuttle & ISS in night sky

Postby SheffDave » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am

I remember seeing a shuttle and the ISS as 2 stars very low in the southern sky (from Sheffield) in around 2010ish. The shuttle wasn’t docked to the ISS and you could see them separate points of light. I cannot remember which shuttle it was and I’d like to know. Does anyone remember the event- it got a lot of attention on Facebook as I remember. Thanks!
SheffDave

Re: Space Shuttle & ISS in night sky

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi and welcome.

Not sure if it was the same event as your viewing, but we saw the ISS and Shuttle Discovery travelling together (about a degree or two apart) in March 2011 from Cheshire.

It was the last flight of Discovery, but we saw it again in 2015 when we visited the Smithsonian's Udvar Hazy centre outside of Washington DC.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: Space Shuttle & ISS in night sky

Postby Aratus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:46 am

It happened every time a shuttle either approached the ISS or left it. If the ISS was visible from the UK at the same time it was fun to watch the 2 objects fly past on the same orbit.
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to General