Switch to mobile style

Stacking Software

Stacking Software

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:23 am

I've had a lot of fun over the past few months imaging the planets with my £2.99 webcam. It's my first foray into this sort of thing, and it's been great fun.

I'm a member of a local Astronomy Society, and we have some really superb imagers as members - producing images that could win prizes. Despite this, I still like to show off my 'newbie' images; mainly because it gives encouragement to other people who are thinking of starting out.

So, back in March, I displayed my first Jupiter image
Jupiter I processed 2.jpg
Jupiter I processed 2.jpg (2.8 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

and then a few days later I worked out how to use wavelets in Registax to bring out some of the details, so I could then post this one, and people could follow the progress.
Jupiter I processed 3.1.jpg
Jupiter I processed 3.1.jpg (2.54 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

I think both of these have been previously shown here.

Most recently, I've been trying to capture Saturn - and at the last club meeting, my latest effort was included in the slide display
Saturn 003 enlarged and blurred.jpg
Saturn 003 enlarged and blurred.jpg (6.78 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

During a break in the meeting, one of the other imagers asked what I used for stacking, and I told him that I used Registax - his suggestion was to use AutoStakkert instead.
I've very glad I did, because the results are quite a significant amount better - as I hope you can see.

I've just found that we can only add 3 files per post - so the 'reveal' will have to be in the next post...
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: Stacking Software

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 am

So, as above, the suggestion was to use AutoStakkert instead of Registax for stacking, and then import the .tif file into Registax to apply the wavelets.

This produced a significant improvement in the basic image, and that meant that applying the wavelets gave a much better image.
23_25_08_g4_ap1 resized.png
23_25_08_g4_ap1 resized.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

So, the learning point for me - was use AutoStakkert for processing your webcam capture video, and continue to use Registax for the wavelets to bring out the details.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: Stacking Software

Postby Aratus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:01 pm

To be fair there are various stacking programs out there, and most of the problems I have seen tend to be folk not knowing how to use them. They are by definition written by computer experts who put a lot of effort into amazing routines, but put little into an easy to use interface, or a even a good manual. People not surprisingly give up very quickly, and blame the software, or even their camera!

Registax seems to have got faster and easier to use as time goes on, but increasingly seems to give poor results. I don't use it at all for deep space objects now, but it still gives amazing results from lunar and solar photos.

I have found that 'Deep Sky Stacker' works quite well for anything with star fields in them, but I'm still trying to figure out all the various options. It may well be that different kinds of objects will work better with one piece of software, but poorly with others. There is a lot to be said for experimenting.

Those are really good results Gfamily2. You have images that 30 years ago could only have been obtained using large professional telescopes. It is a good time to be an amateur astronomer!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Astro imaging