Switch to mobile style

Star Adventurer Mini - issues

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Star Adventurer Mini - issues

Postby dave.b » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Anyone got a Star Adventurer Mini mount? I'm having trouble with the mount's "console" app on my android phone in that it quite regularly refuses to "connect" with the mount despite the phone being connected to the mount's WiFi. I can't decide if it's due to my phone being Android v7.1.2 or another app messing it up. Seems to work fine on my older android v5.1 phone.

Suggestions or success stories about this mount would be useful.

BR
Dave B.
dave.b

Re: Star Adventurer Mini - issues

Postby kgf » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:17 pm

having the same issue.i have tried it with two different samsung devices one is s5 the other j5.both have their latest android versions tho.
it seems the only way to avoid this disconnection issue is to have the option to "turn wifi off" DISABLED in the general settings page of the app. if anything else is chosen or if the field is blank(nothing chosen) the app will lose connection to the sam device and its not able to reconnect to it,tho the phone stays connected to the sam via wifi. its just that the app wont recognise it and the green led wont turn back on.

having that option disabled keeps the connection alive without problems,but obviously its consuming more power that way.i'd prefer to have the option to turn it on and off at will.

have you been able to find a fix?
ive heard that turning off mobile data has solved the issue for some people,but not for me...
it looks like a bug to me but we'll see...
kgf

Postby EIZO » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 pm

In 1969 man landed on the Moon with a computer with less than 1k of RAM, in 2018 we can't get WiFi to connect :)
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:30 pm

EIZO wrote:In 1969 man landed on the Moon with a computer with less than 1k of RAM, in 2018 we can't get WiFi to connect :)

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:25 pm

I must also ask why it is necessary to employ a wifi system in the first place to operate something you are mostly going to be standing right next to? I assume it is cheaper to ask people to use their 'phone' rather than provide a proper handset.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby EIZO » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 am

Aratus wrote:I must also ask why it is necessary to employ a wifi system in the first place to operate something you are mostly going to be standing right next to? I assume it is cheaper to ask people to use their 'phone' rather than provide a proper handset.

I have a Celestron Evolution, and have been very rude to celestron.

1. It has WiFi that only works over a short distance so I have to use cables to remotely image from indoors but
2. The pathetic curly leads to hand controllers are so short it is IMPOSSIBLE for a wheelchair user to use them
3. They can not be lengthened
4. 100% asking the CUSTOMER to DIY is cheaper than the supplier doing it right
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 am

Aratus wrote:I must also ask why it is necessary to employ a wifi system in the first place to operate something you are mostly going to be standing right next to? I assume it is cheaper to ask people to use their 'phone' rather than provide a proper handset.

On the whole you're not 'operating' these - you manually point your camera at the right part of the sky, and then set the camera shooting via the 'snap' cable between the Star Adventurer Mini (SAM) and the camera.

If you download the SAM Console app from SkyWatcher you can see the level of control of the camera actions that it allows. Yes, you could build some of that into a reasonably priced handset, but a phone would generally offer a better quality of user interface (the UI is infinitely variable with a touch screen). In addition, a cabled handset (and we know what cables are like) would be another thing hanging off the mount, and likely to cause vibrations when you pick it up and put it down

I don't have the SAM, but I have the original SA - it has capability to control the camera via a cable, but I use an intervalometer instead; it's fine, but not as easy to use as a phone would be, and I need to hook it up after pressing 'go' to start a sequence to stop it acting as a pendulum.

And it has to be said that value for money is something that is important at this part of the market - If their market price range is around £280 - £350, I would rather they spent on the drive quality than diverting money to a cheap handset. If you're increasing the price to £400+, your customers may go elsewhere.

FWIW, I use the SAM console as it has a very good Polar Clock that works just as well for the SA as for the SAM.

Obviously, having the SAM failing to reconnect to the 'phone' is inexcusable - but the idea of using a phone to set it up is basically sound I reckon.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:04 pm

EIZO wrote:

I have a Celestron Evolution, and have been very rude to celestron.

1. It has WiFi that only works over a short distance so I have to use cables to remotely image from indoors but
2. The pathetic curly leads to hand controllers are so short it is IMPOSSIBLE for a wheelchair user to use them
3. They can not be lengthened
4. 100% asking the CUSTOMER to DIY is cheaper than the supplier doing it right

Are you sure that you can't swap to a longer cable?
From what I've been able to tell it's a RJ12 plug on each end, so you could try:
This to make the handset easier to use
http://uk.farnell.com/pro-signal/cpj/pl ... /dp/107212

or you may even find this works for controlling from your indoor location (10 metres)
http://uk.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps1146 ... dp/2070346

You would want to check the pin-outs on your existing (short) cable using a multimeter and confirm that they are the same in the replacement cable/jacks.

No guarantee it'll work, but it may be worth trying - under DSR you can always send it back if they don't help.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:27 pm

No, as Celestron say the timed response from the motherboard to the handset will be ruined,

I have also made them, I have all the tools they just don't work and I would suggest anyone not qualified NEVER try it, a new celestron board is HUNDREDS

I just use a usb

Dsc_2435.jpg
Dsc_2435.jpg (145.38 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
EIZO

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:31 pm

EIZO wrote:No, as Celestron say the timed response from the motherboard to the handset will be ruined,

I have also made them, I have all the tools they just don't work and I would suggest anyone not qualified NEVER try it, a new celestron board is HUNDREDS

I just use a usb

Dsc_2435.jpg

That's a shame.
But, as you suggest, computer control is an option
As is Sky Portal with a phone to control.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Equipment Advice