Stargazing in the big City

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Stargazing in the big City

Postby alleyne1 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:40 am

Hi Folks.Im vey new to Astronomy and wonder where can you go in London to gaze at the heavens as where I live (clapham South London) is very light polluted.Ive just bought myself a new meade and im dying to get started-thanks
alleyne1

RE: Stargazing in the big City

Postby thething » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:13 pm

You should still be able to do some astronomy, even in the city centre. I used to live in the centre of Sutton, on the out skirts of London. The whole of the western sky was tinged orange from London street lights; to the north was a block of flats that obscured Polaris and to the east was sutton United FC and their spotlights! I still managed some observing, although planets and bright constellations were best!

There are a couple of good books about city observing. I forget the titles, but your local library should have them.

If you can travel, then head out of London a bit. I've now moved to Epsom Common which is much better.

Finally, you could try a local society. Croydon Astro is a very friendly, local(ish) society with meeting every other week. Plus they have an observatory at Kenley. PM me if you're interested and I can let you have the web address.
thething

Postby alleyne1 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:16 pm

thanks I will enquire at my local library.If you can forward the address for Croydon I would be grateful. [;)]
alleyne1

Postby gord » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:20 am

Good question, I'd be interested to hear other peoples tricks and swerves for observing in the cities. I'm in Raynes Park, not too far from you. I suffer from similar light pollution problems too, and ended up turning to aperture to get me through!

Having said that, my first year was spent with a simple 114mm reflector, and I was still able to see most Messier objects), and had started chasing down some NGC objects, when I upgraded to a 10inch scope. This of course, helps alot!

Too keep out streetlights, I built a set of folding walls that raise above the rear fence (I call it the observatory, my wife simply refers to it as The Monolith). While I'm sure the neighbours think I'm a little odd, it works ok. I'm experimenting with filters too, and am currently considering getting an OIII filter.

I agree with the previous post, go out anyway! Saturn looks amazing at any time!

Richard [sm=rolleyes.gif]
gord

Postby alleyne1 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:13 pm

Thanks Richard.I will continue to head to Wandsworth Common .Had some great views of the moon there recently.
alleyne1

Postby les » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:23 pm

[8|]In the 70's my observing site was in Edinburgh. Most of the street lights were hidden by tennaments. Suprisingly I could see the ring nebula with a 60mm refractor and took good startrail photos a kilometre from the city centre.
les

Return to General