Start up astronomer seeks guidance

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

RE: Start up astronomer seeks guidance

Postby sky_at_night » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Binoculars and you can get some great bins around the £100.

You might then also consider a camera tripod to put them on these will improve the view no end and make the whole experience more relaxing.

Other than that see if you can find a deal on an 80mm f5 shottube refractor on an EQ1 mount and join the Society For Popular Astronomy you might have change for a couple of good books.

Kevin.
sky_at_night

Postby fazerjay » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:53 am

Hi

I restarted as an adult with a cheap Tasco 114x500 reflector that the ex wife got me for Xmas. It was not too bad, just let down by the eye pieces. A few years ago I managed to get a Meade ETX70 for £200 (unwanted present) which was ideal for me as I live in the middle of a city and my only transport is the motorbike. Not bad though the motordrives did not like the cold and the focus knob is a pain to use at times. Disaster struck two weeks ago when it got nocked off the dining table where I was working on it(trying to make a motorised focuser) None of the optics were damaged but the motordrives are playing up and the focus bit is not right.
Lucky for me a mate gave me an old 114x900 reflector he had in the loft. Used it last night for the first time. Wow, finally Mars aquired detail. something I have never seen before from my back garden in light infested Portsmouth

fazerjay

Postby big dipper » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:00 pm

Braddito check out this link. [url=http://www.scopereviews.com/begin.html]http://www.scopereviews.com/begin.html[/url]

It's about the best I've found on the web for giving advise for newbies.
big dipper

Postby JeffkWall » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:10 pm

I think if you can hit £230 , go for the 8" revelation dob. 2" cray focuser good reviews etc.

I have the 10" version sitting under the xmas tree.
JeffkWall

Previous

Return to Equipment Advice