Startravel 102 Vs camera tripod

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Startravel 102 Vs camera tripod

Postby Colaris » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Would I be able to use a basic camera/binocular tripod with a Startravel 102 scope?
Colaris

Re: Startravel 102 Vs camera tripod

Postby Aratus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:23 pm

The mount is sort of built into the provided tripod, so I think it would difficult to do that. Is there a reason not to use the tripod that came with it?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Colaris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Thanks.

I was hoping just to by the OTA scope to save money but the only tripod I have is a Velbon CX 440.
Colaris

Postby Aratus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:07 am

I think I understand now. Sorry about that. You already have a tripod, and you were wondering if you bought the tube on its own that you might be able to attach it directly to the tripod.

The tube rings don't have a thread for a standard tripod. They are designed to fit a variety of telescope dovetails and saddles. I've never seen a Skywatcher dovetail with a standard tripod thread. Perhaps someone knows of a third party accessory that will do the trick. It would be possible to adapt a dovetail yourself if you are handy with DIY. I did something similar once by drilling a large enough hole to a cradle, and fitted a standard tripod thread to it.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:06 am

The dovetail on my Skywatcher Maks (102 and 127mm) are threaded for a 1/4" tripod mount, and I've used the 102mm on my camera tripod for birding. There are 3 threads (front, middle and rear of the dovetail), to allow for different balance points depending on what eyepiece/imager you're using.

I've no idea whether its the same on the tube rings for a Refractor - though you could drill and tap one (or more) if you're handy.

However, it may well not be worthwhile as camera tripods are more designed for (more or less) horizontal use, whereas telescope tripods are more often used at quite high angles, so they are generally designed differently.
Also, telescope tripods often come with slow motion knobs which can be useful to keep objects in view; camera tripods aren't usually designed with that in mind.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:The dovetail on my Skywatcher Maks (102 and 127mm) are threaded for a 1/4" tripod mount.

It makes sense to use that kind of thread, although I've never seen one of these telescopes used with a photographic tripod, and it doesn't seem to be advertised as such. Like you I think using a photographic tripod is missing out on a lot of the features of the Skywatcher tripod. There is a saving of about £70 but I guess that can make the difference between being able to buy it or not. They do sell the mounts separately so I suppose it would be possible to upgrade at a later date. It will be a lot more expensive to do that overall though.
Aratus

Postby Colaris » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go down the Skywatcher tripod route just to be safe. :)
Colaris

Return to General