Statue of Yuri Gagarin to be unveiled on 14 July

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

RE: Statue of Yuri Gagarin to be unveiled on 14 July

Postby sftonkin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm

@ Brian:

Only two points:

[*]There was a smiley put on my second post for the benefit of the SOH-impaired.
[*]How difficult would it have been to arrange to unveil the statue on the [i]actual[/i] anniversary of Manned Space Flight?
sftonkin

Postby Graham Southorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 am

Perhaps there's things going on in the background that we're not aware of - like, maybe it wasn't ready in time!!

I imagine it's got to be shipped over from Russia, and as we know with shipping magazines around the world, shipping by sea takes a good 10-12 weeks.
Graham Southorn

Postby worcspaul » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Judging by the item in S@N on Yuri Gagarin it would appear he was one of those people you would like to meet and/or have at a dinner party. He seems to have been approachable in much the same way as Buzz Aldrin. I hope that BBC4 is able to devote some schedule time to mark the occasion.

While we celebrate Gagarin's success, let us not forget the fate of Vladimir Komarov who died so tragically aboard Soyuz I on 24th April 1968. It would seem, from various sources (bearing in mind the internet's questionable provenance) that, despite serious misgivings about the Soyuz, Komarov went ahead with the mission in the almost certain knowledge he wouldn't survive. Had he refused, the backup commander (Gagarin) would have taken his place and similarly perished.
worcspaul

Postby tim allan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 am

Theres been quite a few programmes about Yuri Gagarin on the news channel Russia Today recently. Although as its a Russian channel that really isnt suprising.
tim allan

Previous

Return to General