Statue of Yuri Gagarin to be unveiled on 14 July

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Statue of Yuri Gagarin to be unveiled on 14 July

Postby Graham Southorn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03 am

This just in...

Full story [url=http://bit.ly/hOuHpG]here[/url]

[b][size=3]Yuri Gagarin comes to London[/size][/b]

A statue of Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space, will be unveiled on the Mall, opposite the statue of Captain Cook and outside the British Council offices headquarters, on Thursday 14 July 2011, to mark the 50th Anniversary of Manned Space Flight.

The statue is a gift from the Russian Space Agency (Roscosmos) to the British Council. It will be installed on the Mall for a period of 12 months.

Minister for Universities and Science David Willetts, who visited Moscow in February for the signing of the joint statement on the UK Russia Year of Space, said: “We have a strong record of collaboration with Russia in space science. This statue is a particularly fitting emblem of both that history and the commitment to future work put in place through the UK Russia Year of Space, and I’m delighted it is coming to London.”

The statue is an exhibition copy of the statue commissioned in 1984 by the small town of Lubertsy, just outside Moscow, where Gagarin trained as a foundry worker from the ages of 15-16. Made by Anatoly Novikov, one of the chief sculptors of the Stalingrad Memorial (now the Volgograd Memorial), the sculpture was commissioned to commemorate Gagarin’s 50th birthday (he died in a plane crash aged 34), and is today a site of pilgrimage for cosmonauts before they travel into space.

The statue will be formally unveiled by the cosmonaut’s daughter, Elena Gagarina, now Director of the Kremlin Museums. Others attending the ceremony include Alexei Leonov, the first man to walk in space and a close friend of Gagarin’s; Sergei Krikalev, the cosmonaut-Director of Star City; and Natalia Koroleva, daughter of Sergei Korolev, the ‘Chief Designer’ of the Soviet space programme, and the man responsible for many space firsts: the first artificial satellite (sputnik) to be launched, the first man in space, the first space walk, the first woman in space, and the first lunar probe.

[image]local://218/AD9814BD8942442997D3A016644C27F2.jpg[/image]
Graham Southorn

RE: Statue of Yuri Gagarin to be unveiled on 14 July

Postby lancashire astroguy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:13 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: skyed

The statue is a gift from the Russian Space Agency (Roscosmos) to the British Council. It will be installed on the Mall for a period of 12 months.

[/quote]

Its a shame we don't have a permanent statue of Yuri Gagarin - he was a true hero.

James
lancashire astroguy

Postby brianb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:33 am

[quote]
Its a shame we don't have a permanent statue of Yuri Gagarin
[/quote]
I hope we're getting one i.e. a permanent home for the statue can be found after the 12 month installation on the Mall. National Space Centre, Leicester?

As for the statue itself, it's a typical Soviet era monumental artwork, but rather a nice example of its kind IMO.

brianb

Postby parus ater » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:23 am

I do like the aesthetic of Soviet era art, it's just exciting to look at which, I suppose, is the point.
parus ater

Postby Graham Southorn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

[quote]I do like the aesthetic of Soviet era art[/quote]

Have you seen a book called [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCCP-Cosmic-Communist-Constructions-Photographed/dp/3836525194/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302079955&sr=8-1]Cosmic Communist Constructions[/url]? One of the buildings featured was based on a futuristic lunar base! I'm not sure whether that's the one on the cover or not.
Graham Southorn

Postby parus ater » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 am

I've got to get that! Cheers for that.
When you see what they were building in the sixties and seventies compared to the moulded monstrosities we have from that era it really does make you think.
parus ater

Postby sftonkin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: skyed

A statue of Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space, will be unveiled on the Mall, opposite the statue of Captain Cook and outside the British Council offices headquarters, on Thursday 14 July 2011, to mark the 50th Anniversary of Manned Space Flight.
[/quote]

???

Where did they dredge up that date? The 50th Anniversary of Manned Space Flight is next Tuesday (12 April 2011).
sftonkin

Postby Graham Southorn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 pm

He visited the UK from 11-15 July 1961.

[i]Sky at Night Magazine[/i] April issue, p36. [;)]
Graham Southorn

Postby sftonkin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Ah. I see. So the statue actually commemorates [i][b][color=#0099FF]The 50th Anniversary of the Penultimate Day of Yuri Gagarin's Visit to the UK[/color][/b][/i]. [:D]
sftonkin

Postby brianb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:30 pm

[quote]So the statue actually commemorates [i][b][color="#0099ff"]The 50th Anniversary of the Penultimate Day of Yuri Gagarin's Visit to the UK[/color][/b][/i]. [:D]
[/quote]
Oh, come on ...
[quote]The statue will be formally unveiled by the cosmonaut’s daughter, Elena Gagarina, now Director of the Kremlin Museums. Others attending the ceremony include Alexei Leonov, the first man to walk in space and a close friend of Gagarin’s; Sergei Krikalev, the cosmonaut-Director of Star City; and Natalia Koroleva, daughter of Sergei Korolev, the ‘Chief Designer’ of the Soviet space programme[/quote]
We're lucky to get that lot on a "random" date. Same year, that's close enough to the 50th anniversary for me; being fully used to e.g. the centenary of Mahler's death lasting the whole year. (Gustav Mahler actually died on May 18, 1911 and not on any of the other 364 days in the year.)

brianb

Next

Return to General