Strange flash

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Strange flash

Postby ryanarchy » Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Was sitting out the back a little while ago, hoping to see the clouds move for a clear sky, there was some sky showing but it was barely anything the bit you could see was quite light still, then out of nowhere in the thick of the cloud a light (to start with the size of venus in the sky) appeared, it got brighter and a bit bigger, it seemed to move down and cause a line, it faded a bit then got a bit brighter then faded and ended up getting smaller and completely faded. Does anyone know what it might of been? At first i thought it was probably a plane but there was no sound and it lasted only a few seconds, plus it was too bright to be a plane. I've never seen anything like it and to see it was totally unreal [&:]
ryanarchy

RE: Strange flash

Postby brianb » Thu May 28, 2009 12:10 am

Sounds like an Iridium flare ... common enough these days.
brianb

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri May 29, 2009 12:20 am

I agree. It sounds like a flare.
lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 am

What about this one:

The night of the 27th I saw two perfectly stable lights flying in formation making S shaped motions. They came from above the handle of the saucepan of Ursa Major.

I have never seen anything like this in my life they certainly were not civilian aircraft. Possibly military fighter jocks fooling about but no flashing lights. They appeared as say the ISS would very bright. It was just about 22:00 hours when this phenomena occured.

It freaked me to be honest what with having already photographed speeding discs crossing the Moon.

This was trully awesome. 2 steady bright star-like lights doing gentle S curve manuevers. I have never seen the like.

And no I am not going cookoo I Really did see this
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby pulsar » Sun May 31, 2009 5:20 pm

I have 2 questions:

1. Do Iridium sattelites get brighter and then diminish to nothing then re-appear and brighten again and again cycically as I saw last night?.
a very bright light that grew brighter to a point then got fainter to the point where it was not naked eye visible and then brightened again. I observed 5 cycles of this behaviour until I lost it in trees. It was approx 12:00 midnight and this thing came from just left of M13 but below M92 in a northwesterly direction.

2. Is it common for M13 to experience blue flashes of light in the core area as I saw one last night as well?.
Though my thoughts are it was my eyes adapting still to the "almost" dark of this time of year. I had been outside for perhaps 40 mins when this occured. Time was 11:10 pm.

I seem to have a hive of activity over me here and I fully understand that they are just probably man-made objects. But some are really strange like those S curve lights I mentioned. I can see the spy sattelite theory though. But 2 of them so close doing the same manuever's mmm I dunno???.
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:10 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: pulsar

I have 2 questions:

1. Do Iridium sattelites get brighter and then diminish to nothing then re-appear and brighten again and again cycically as I saw last night?.
a very bright light that grew brighter to a point then got fainter to the point where it was not naked eye visible and then brightened again. I observed 5 cycles of this behaviour until I lost it in trees. It was approx 12:00 midnight and this thing came from just left of M13 but below M92 in a northwesterly direction.

2. Is it common for M13 to experience blue flashes of light in the core area as I saw one last night as well?.
Though my thoughts are it was my eyes adapting still to the "almost" dark of this time of year. I had been outside for perhaps 40 mins when this occured. Time was 11:10 pm.

I seem to have a hive of activity over me here and I fully understand that they are just probably man-made objects. But some are really strange like those S curve lights I mentioned. I can see the spy sattelite theory though. But 2 of them so close doing the same manuever's mmm I dunno???.
[/quote]

I can answer #1 for you. Iridium flares (or any type of flare) start from almost nothing (unless you know where to look and you will see the satellite moving). They grow bright over a period of a few seconds and then they fade back to nothing over the same period of a few seconds.

What i mean is the 2 i saw on the same night took about 12 seconds from start to finish....................5 seconds to come to brightest magnitute........stayed bright for maybe 2-3 seconds and then took another 5 seconds to fade out.

I've never heard of a "flare",flaring up over and over in a cyclical pattern.......................

That to me sounds like it was spinning out of control or different parts of the satellite were catching the sunlight at different times?

I honestly have no clue. I was just BLESSED to see 2 of them in the space of a couple of minutes.

I'l probably never see another in my life.

They are amazing to see.

lukeskywatcher

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches