Strange light

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Strange light

Postby thedeleins1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:54 pm

I work the night shift (for years outside) and have been interested in astronomy my whole life. I constantly look up at the sky and have become acutley aware of astronomical events, Planet movements, meteor showers, satelites vs high alltitude aircraft... I know the difference.

So in the past 8 months I have witnessed two identical phenomenon in the sky that I can't explain (I do not beleive in UFO's). The first occurance was in November 2014 when I happened to look to the north east and saw a light appear with the same brightness of, say, Rigel on a moonless night. This light flash lasted no more that 2 seconds then faded to nothing. There was no movement of the light in the sky, no noise and nothing to indicate it was artificial. I had a co-worker with me at that moment and told him to look at that but when he did, of course it was gone. This occurred around 0100 hours MST. It puzzled me but I did not think of it again until yesterday, June 8th 2015 around 0030 hours in the northwestern sky, I saw exactly the same thing. And, no, I am not talking about the movie Phenomenon, ( although I wish I could get that smart like that.) keep in mind it was not a quick flash such as an explosion, and it was no brighter that a bright star. Can anyone tell me what this could be. I have read about Gamma Ray Bursters but I would not think you could see them with the naked eye. Suggestions?
thedeleins1

Re: Strange light

Postby dave.b » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Sounds like and Iridium flare, which is sunlight being reflected of a satellites solar panels. There are websites that provide forecasts for such events, so you could compare and actual Iridium flare (as forecast) with what you sore and report back here. You will also find pictures of such events, but most will be long exposures and show a line of light with a bright spot in the in the middle (being the brief moment of maximum reflection in the observers direction).

Dave B.
dave.b

Re: Strange light

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:15 pm

dave.b wrote:Sounds like and Iridium flare, which is sunlight being reflected of a satellites solar panels. There are websites that provide forecasts for such events, so you could compare and actual Iridium flare (as forecast) with what you sore and report back here. You will also find pictures of such events, but most will be long exposures and show a line of light with a bright spot in the in the middle (being the brief moment of maximum reflection in the observers direction).

Dave B.

I agree but think the magnitude of about 0 sounds rather faint for an Iridium flare, which are normally around mag -4 to mag -8.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to General