Strange sight over Scotland

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Strange sight over Scotland

Postby PMcIntyre » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:16 am

Hi folks, I'd be grateful for any suggestions about an occurence that I have pondered for decades.

Back in the mid 80s whilst camping at a place called King's Cross on the Isle of Arran, Scotland. Something caught my eye in the clear night sky: looking due west I saw what appeared to be a single star moving oddly, it darted very quickly from point-to-point in the pattern of a 'small' square, I called to a friend and we continued to observe this movement for for quite some time (probably between 10 to 20 minutes).

I know next to nothing about astronomy. The best explanation I can come up with is that something military was going on; it is worth noting that this strange event occurred in the precise direction of the RAF Macrihanish airbase. I have since learned that the base was used by the USAF and there are conspiratorial claims that they were using the base to launch hypersonic aircraft around the mid 80s).

However, I just wondered if there might be a simpler astronomical explanation; also, whether theer might be any other reports of a star-like object moving at speed in a square pattern?
PMcIntyre

Re: Strange sight over Scotland

Postby PMcIntyre » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 am

Seriously, no responses? This is a serious query, I am not a a UFO nut! Justan ordinary guy who saw something he can't explain and would love a rational explanation!
PMcIntyre

Re: Strange sight over Scotland

Postby Graeme1858 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Hello

I suspect you answered the question yourself "something military was going on"

There's lots of stuff that can't be explained but there's a lot more that is explainable or speculative and that is awesome too!

Regards

Graeme

Return to General