Stuck between two Binoculars for Stargazing

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Stuck between two Binoculars for Stargazing

Postby wiegetz » Mon May 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I am stuck between two binoculars for stargazing.

These models:

Olympus 118760 10 x 50 DPS-I
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70
I am not sure which I should buy. The prices are not that much different, the 10x50 costs 60€ and the 15x70 costs 80€. It goes to a -10€ sale on amazon.de, so I will wait until that happens (I am a Student, so haha) I also want to buy a tripod for ~25€ on Amazon for it.

Please do not post other models, since these two are the only good ones available here in Germany, and I cannot increase my budget every further.

I intend to visit the Eifel national park for stargazing because it is the best place here to do stargazing (possibly the only one as well) and because it also got the dark-sky award.

Best regards,
wiegetz

Re: Stuck between two Binoculars for Stargazing

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi and welcome.

I can't give you much advice about which would be better. I have had the Celestrons and they're good, but heavy to use for extended use. A tripod can help, but only for targets that are not too far above the horizon.
If you're looking at targets near the zenith, you would do better to get a reclining seat (or a sun-lounger) that allows you to lean back and take the weight of the binoculars on your face.

As you're probably aware, the Olympus 10x50s will give you a wider field of view, whereas the Celestrons give you a higher magnification. I'm not exactly sure of the maths, but I think the brightness for extended objects should be more or less the same in both. As I understand it, you'll see more stars with the Celestrons because of the larger aperture, but for planets, the moon and any nebulae, the brightness is about the same.

The most important thing is that you check they are properly collimated as soon as you get them, and get them replaced if the images from each ocular are not perfectly aligned.
Test them on stars, because (in my experience), although you may be able to bring the images together for daytime observations, it's a lot harder when observing stars.

As you may be aware, a common piece of advice when using binoculars is to fix on the target with the naked eye first, then without moving your head, bring the binoculars up to your eyes; that way, you shouldn't have to search for your target - it certainly works for birds, at least.

Hope you have success with whichever you buy.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Mon May 07, 2018 6:46 pm

The 15x70 will be the better one for astronomy. The bigger the objective lens the better, and x15 will still give a good field of view. The Celestron can be adjusted if the images don't line up, although the adjustment screws are well hidden!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:03 pm

15x70s are great. On another subject, I think you will win the World Cup.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice