Stupid question probably.

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Stupid question probably.

Postby Fatfred » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:55 pm

Good afternoon all.

I am trying to post a hello and a question but apparently it is too spammy.
Fatfred

Re: Stupid question probably.

Postby Fatfred » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:57 pm

My question was....

I have just bought a small spotting scope to use when we go to Lundy in the spring and that made me think about the TAL. I have had a play with it (looking at aerials and the like) during the day and wonder if all is OK with it.

I can get a good focus on an aerial half a mile away but there is little contrast in the picture. I own a Canon Dslr and my 500mm lens with jessops 2x converter is sharper. The 25mm eyepiece is better than the 10mm, I guess due to the magnification factor. Am I expecting too much from the scope to get a crystal picture? Does it matter for star gazing?

I have aligned the mirrors using advice on here but there is little improvement.
Fatfred

Postby Fatfred » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Prior to my question I had mentioned how I got the TAL for a fiver in good condition from a certain auction site.

I have aligned the mirrors using advice on here but there is little improvement.

Sitting here listening to the rain I wonder if I will get to use it soon!

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thank you.
Fatfred

Postby Aratus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Which TAL have you got? In particular the size of the aperture. A 25mm eyepiece will always give a brighter image with more contrast than a 10mm of the same type. The 10mm will give more detail, if the object is bright enough.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Fatfred » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:33 am

Hi thanks for the reply.

We've got a TAL 120. I've got an adaptor for my DSLR but only used it during the day to look at some local chimneys.

Is there an optical difference between a spotting scope and the TAL? Not in the way the image is delivered, more in the way the eye sees the image. I guess I am trying to work out if the TAL is OK. But is this fair whilst using it during the day?

Does that make sense?

Thanks.
Fatfred

Postby Aratus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 pm

A TAL 120 is a Newtonian reflector which is a purely astronomical telescope. It isn't designed for terrestrial use, and it would be very difficult to use in that way. Your spotting scope will be a wide field refractor which can be used for looking at aerials and chimneys etc. quite easily.

I would suggest that you use the TAL for astronomical objects. A 4.75" reflector is a good telescope, and there are a lot of objects within its capabilities. For example take a look at Venus (the bright 'star') high in the western sky after sunset
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Fatfred » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:51 am

Many thanks. I will pack the telescope when we go to the caravan in April and explore the Exmoor night skys
Fatfred

Return to Introductions