Suggested addons Skywatcher Explorer 150p 750mm

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Suggested addons Skywatcher Explorer 150p 750mm

Postby Heliotrope » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:41 am

Hello there

Months before christmas I decided I wanted a telescope. Supercoopers guide was very useful in giving me a direction on what to look for and in the end A nice fiscal injection helped me exceed the minimum starting unit.

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150p 750mm on an EQ3-2 it came with a 10mm, 25mmWA and a 2X Barlow. Things I am going to do are: Fill the legs with sand just to deaden the base a bit. Get a tracking drive. Also in the middle of converting a Logitech C270 into an astro cam.

So far I have viewed the moon, Venus, Mars, Jupiter with moons, and various stars and constellations. As yet I have not got into an ordered method. I just set up in the back garden and get to grips with the Mount and reverse image and using the controls.

Any way. Eye pieces. What others might I benefit from having. I wear glasses for reading and am still getting used to whether I need them on or not LOL! It's only been 4 years and I am still not used to them.
Heliotrope

Re: Suggested addons Skywatcher Explorer 150p 750mm

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:50 pm

A 6" telescope has a general limit of something like 250x - 300x I would avoid high power eyepieces, especially if you are starting to need glasses. Since you have a x2 barlow something like a 7mm eyepiece would give you 215x. A 6mm eyepiece will give you 250x There will be seeing conditions good enough to use those kinds of magnifications from time to time. With the other 2 eyepieces + Barlow will give you a nice spread of magnifications.

The filling of the legs with sand sounds intriguing. What is the problem you are trying to solve?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Heliotrope » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello there

Thanks for that. Yes I'm aware the upper magnifications will be dependant on 'the day' atmospherics etc. So will look into your recommended eye pieces.

The sand in legs. Just something I came across as I was researching for what unit I was going to get. The stand is an EQ3-2. What was being said was the extra weight would help reduce vibration and help the solidity of the stand on the ground. Plus a 'sandbag' sat on the tray. I'm willing to be told different. I have found leaving the legs short is better than extending them. But I'm sure it depends what, where, and how.

Cheers
Heliotrope

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Basically, they don't include the shorter focal length eyepieces, because they will only work well in good conditions, and Newtonians don't do high magnifications well for their aperture. There is no harm in having a 6 or 7mm eyepiece in the arsenal! One other way is to get a x3 barlow and with your 10mm you get 225x.

These kinds of tripods are not particularly sturdy, because they are designed to be portable. The eyepiece tray itself should give some bracing to the 3 legs. If you get an 'S' hook and put one end on the tray and hook the other to a small bag of sand that would give it a little more stability. (Not too heavy that it bends the legs though) However, most of the vibration will come from the mount itself. There isn't a lot you can do about that - it will be designed to keep those to a minimum.

I don't think putting sand inside the legs would help. They are such thin legs that I can't imagine any meaningful vibrations being set up in the metal itself. (If you tap them - do they ring?) They will be a lot heaver, and filling them with sand may stop them being adjustable. Like you, if someone has put sand in their legs and noted an improvement, I'm willing to hear about it!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Heliotrope » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Hello there

I may just get the Barlow as well as the eye pieces. Lot's of options. The legs are extruded Aluminium with plastic/resin end fittings. At this juncture I am prepared to hold fire, on sand fill, as I just learn to wield the scope and set it up to the pole star properly. See how it goes over a period of time then see. S hook and a weight sounds much easier to!

My Birthday shortly so I am hoping to get the tracking drive to aid my foray into astro photography.

Cheers
Heliotrope

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 am

Get a full-aperture solar filter and a 9x50 right angle finderscope.

As for eyepieces, I would get a 32mm Plossl eyepiece and maybe an Antares scre-win focal reducer.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Heliotrope » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 am

Hello there

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into these. The Solar filter is a definite.
I have my RA motor which has made a massive difference. Though the weather
has since been cloudy non stop. I managed to get a good video shot of Venus
though before the clouds decided to take up permanent residence.

cheers
Heliotrope

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 pm

A cheap webcam can be modified to add a 1.25" adapter, and you should be able to use that (maybe with the Barlow) to image the planets and details of the Moon.

The modification removes the original lens from the eyepiece and it's generally best to get an adapter that includes an IR filter (Google "1.25 webcam adapter" and you'll get a list). They're about £12-£15.

You capture the video using software such as Sharpcap or Firecap, and then process it Autostakkert or Registax.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Sorry to disagree (to some extent). Webcamming is indeed a good method of taking solar system images and I've also used it to capture double stars. One problem is that most laptops now come with built-in webcams and not many are sold separately. Unfortunately, newer versions of Windows no longer support older webcams, many of which are better than what's around at the moment.

I have a Bresser electronic eyepiece but not had much chance to use it.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 pm

£2.99 webcam, captured with Win 10

None of these took a huge amount of effort, but the results are quite pleasing.
Saturn 2x size.png
Saturn 2x size.png (16.59 KiB) Viewed 1959 times

Jupiter 3.1 rotated reversed x2.jpg
Jupiter 3.1 rotated reversed x2.jpg (4.5 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Equipment Advice