Sun Fun ('.')

RE: Sun Fun ('.')

Postby paulc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:33 am

I used to have that problem Paul.

Caught a glimpse of the Sun this morning in fuzzy cloud breaks and there is a sunspot region due east. There was not enough time to check how many sunspots were in the facula, I'll try later if the Sun returns. There are largish prominences on the north east and west limbs, that's all I managed.

[image]local://3228/91FF1E4957FB4BF98858FAFB74413039.jpg[/image]

Looking at THE0007's images I'd say I can't tell my filaments from my dark patches. The region in the south west quarter should be similar to yesterdays. I'll blame that error on clouds and fuzzy viewing!
paulc

Postby paulc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:20 am

The sunspot towards the east limb is visible with penumbra and accompanying facula. There are three filaments close by, two quite broad. There is a dark region made up of three dark shapes towards the north pole, cannot make out if this is filamentary. A large prominence and a smaller companion are due east on the limb. Prominences along the north east limb include one which is 'Y' shaped, two peaked ones and a thread. Along the south west limb region is the filamentary region that has been visible for the last week with two filaproms rising from the facula. Further along the limb is a ghostly prominence. At least this last region is clear to see today!

[image]local://3228/B1E8DDEAFBD44D5A967BABB87574ABCA.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Sunshine, clouds, haze and heavy showers, what a combination. I parked the scopes near the open garage so I could move them in and out depending on conditions, ah such fun. The sunspot with penumbra is slowly gliding across the disc. There are small prominences visible around the limb, some in groups and a large one due north with a smaller companion. Two small filaments are above the sunspot and two more just in the north west quarter. A filaprom is near the south west limb.

[image]local://3228/2001CE75D70F4051ACE07C2E4168204E.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:43 pm

The sunspot with penumbra persists and is now joined by a second facula north west of it containing another sunspot with penumbra and three smaller ones. I detuned the pst to see them and verified their presence with a baader solar film scope. To the east and west of these regions are filaments some broad. Around the limb in each quarter are groups of prominences, a dome due north and one almost due east, threads in the north east, due south and south west. Quite an active and interesting Sun today.

[image]local://3228/7B6D39B0D08D4FB1BACF0419D43BAD72.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 am

The two sunspot regions continue to progress across the disc. The number of sunspots has stayed the same. Broadened filaments are still present around these regions. Prominence groups abound around the disc in all quarters. Larger ones are visible due east and on the south west limb.

[image]local://3228/CD4DD565E3764560AE9BD38D3B44DAAA.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:06 pm

A nice day today. Numerous prominences of all shapes and sizes around the limb especially in the east. Two smaller prominence groups are in the west. The two sunspot regions are moving through the north west quarter. I have used a larger telescope with baader film to sketch a more detailed image of the second group nearer the limb. This sketch is top right. The larger sunspot in this group is quite interesting consisting of a black crescent shape and a smaller black spot(umbra) surrounded by penumbra. Moving away from the main spot are a series of what appear to be smaller sunspots, seven in all. In the pst detuned another larger darkish spot was visible to the right of this group and below, it did not show up in the baader film scope. Forgot to mention the filaments around the disc, at least four were significant and broad. There were three other darkish patches one in the north east quarter and two in the south west quarter, but I am unsure of their nature.

[image]local://3228/72CA50EDA6FB48B8BF18D12B76AA02F3.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 am

Another lovely day by the looks. Not as much prominence activity, threads in the north west and east, a larger arched structure due east with an accompanying small peak. Two smaller prominences are on the south west limb. The two sunspot regions persist with a variety of filaments. The sunspot region closest to the north west limb has one large spot two smaller ones very close by and two others at a greater distance, interesting how it changes. Dark lines are visible close to the Eastern limb region, could be filaments.

[image]local://3228/B335FB7B70BA49C395147E8C202D55D1.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:36 am

A very fuzzy Sun this morning lots of haze making it difficult to see detail. The sunspot structure is interesting, through the baader film scope there is the usual large sunspot now with a smaller companion close by, to the north east of it are two new smaller sunspots and then there is the usual second largish sunspot to the north west, but I cannot see the smaller sunspotsto to the west of it anymore.
There are a few prominences discernable on the limb due east, north west and south east. There may be more.

[image]local://3228/9AFF93EAF6B945C58424C3D7A6117136.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 am

There are three facula regions within the north west quarter. The first region is almost central to the disc and contains two dark regions probably sunspots and small filaments. The second facula contains the usual large sunspot and two smaller ones, the third facula contains the second sunspot(if it is the same one). There are significant prominences in all quarters on the limb, the largest due west. Interesting groups are due east and north west. There is a dark marking due south, three due east and three north east, not sure what they are.

[image]local://3228/3FCF4E2662304476911F7417EFA1E593.jpg[/image]
paulc

Postby paulc » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Quite active in the disc again today. Some ten possible sunspots, it would be interesting to read what others are observing. The largest sunspot and facula is now quite close to the north west limb and to the north east of it within a continuation of the facula closer still to the limb are two smaller ones and one of these has an even smaller companion. Towards the cente of the disc still in the north west quarter are a group of five maybe six small sunspots accompanied by filaments visible at x160 in the baader film scope. I have done a second sketch to show the structure. Almost centre in the disc is another facula and small sunspot again visible through the baader. As you can see interesting activity.
Groups of dark regions, some with filaments are located, close to the limb in each quarter. Prominences are visible on each limb. A long thread like arc in the south east and a group of four quite large ones in the north west.

[image]local://3228/FD0AAE2F410B4D718C792BDBE5D1F2EA.jpg[/image]
paulc

PreviousNext

Return to Sketching