Sunspots!

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Sunspots!

Postby wgater » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi all,

In an earlier thread Andrew Short mentioned some sunspots that had appeared on the Sun. I went out to observe them, with an ETX 90EC and astro engineering solar filter,this afternoon. I can confirm that there are about 4 or 5 main groups, along the solar mid regions. One of the groups is quite large; the penumbra of one of the large spots appears to be enveloping an umbra of another, which I thought was quite cool [sic][;)]. Anyway I have taken a pic through the telescope with a Canon EOS 300D;thought some of you guys might be interested. The image is a little blurred by mirror shake but shows the sizes and rough locations of the spots. You can see the pic on my blog.

Clear Skies

Will
wgater

RE: Sunspots!

Postby les » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:40 pm

HI Will,
Unfortunatly I was unable to observe them to-day.They were spectular in a baadar covered 10X50 bins yesterday,even with my 8X20 hillwalking binoculars.I wonder if anyone can see them with the naked eye.I will have to cut short work tomorrow to see them.I've got my priorities right.[:D]
Regards Les.
les

Postby jpb » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:43 am

Hi Will,

I was lucky enough to finish work early so I had a look a the sun spots they are quite spectular. The main group has grown considerably in the last few days. I was trying out a Baader Solar Continuum Filter for the first time and it did everything that was claimed for the filter, improved the image and detail considerably.

JPB

[b][/b]
jpb

Postby wgater » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi guys,

The sunspots were great yesterday. Les I'll have a look with some eclipse glasses this morning, I would have thought yesterday's large group might still be visible. I'll keep you updated. Its funny, I'm rather enjoying solar minimum all things considered!!! Amazing corona during Turkey's eclipse and now some interesting sunspots.

Will
wgater

Postby pinter75 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:40 pm

I got some this morning with my breakfast.

[url=http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=4436]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=4436[/url]

Steve.
pinter75

Postby wgater » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:13 pm

Fantastic shots Steve, showing the main groups of spots we've been seeing. Superb to see the umbra and penumbra of each spot clearly, and some smaller spots I didn't see observationaly. Great!! Also shows the large spot I was seeing yesterday. Les, I had a look with Thousand Oaks Optics eclipse glasses,and couldn't see the large group. Obviously Steve's pics prove they are still there!

Will
wgater

Postby barnardstar2 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:03 pm

It's amazing how quickly they have appeared. The weekend before the eclipse I took a few shots pre eclipse as you do and the sun was Bald! Three days later in Turkey another couple of trial shots revealed new solar activety, I think I counted three spots and now this! Last night we even had a brief flash between clouds of what could have been the start of an aurora. If you have seen the rolling silver tube that looks like a vapour trail you will know what I mean and this on the edge of Edinburgh too!
barnardstar2

Postby jsc248 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:10 pm

I think that it is amazing that they have appeared at all! We are now in the time of solar minimum and sunspot groups like these shouldn't really be here. We really shouldn't see this type of grouping for another 4-6 years, so enjoy them while you can they could dissappear tomorrow!!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby les » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:50 pm

HI All,
The large spot appears to be three spots in one penumbra.They will disapearing round the edge in the next 2 or 3 days it will be interesting to see if they survive round the far side and appear on the opposite limb again.Place your bets.[:D]
Regards Les.
les

Return to Astro Alerts