tasco telescopes

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

tasco telescopes

Postby crazy about stars » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 am

Hi all
I know this question is so silly but this is what this part of the fourm is for.
I have heard a lot people say that tasco telescopes are bad and should not
be brought I am not sure.

thanks
crazy about stars

RE: tasco telescopes

Postby spartacus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:03 am

it was my first junk 60mm refractor that got me hooked so they serve a purpose !

Keef
spartacus

Postby uea74 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:20 am

It is a matter of how good you want something to be.
A Tasco scope will have the same bits but the quality of them and hence the cost will be lower.

On a refelector a spherical mirror isn't as good as a parabolic but costs less to make. If you make it a long focal length then it is better then a short focal length. So a cheap refelector will be a spherical mirror of long focal length. Never good but passable for the money. If you bought one that is the point to be considered.

Same/similar with refractors. Poor front lens, mass produced pieces and simply assembled. They are not going to be made with ED glass, they are not going to be supplied with TV eyepieces, the tube materials isn't going to be precision machined aluminium.

Everything is done to a budget and that budget is low.

Problem is that when people buy a scope they suddenly expect views from the garden that Hubble takes days to capture and weeks of processing to produce.

Why do so many buy them, simple. Person wants a scope and they are cheap. Many will start this hobby then give up, so why spend £300 on somnething that is a passing fad?
uea74

Postby les » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 am

HI CAS,
My first telescope was a Tasco 40mm refractor given to me as Christmas present in 1970.It was obviously very limited but I did recognise my first Lunar crater Picard and my first taste(albeit blurry) of the rings of Saturn.It was also used to veiw wide double stars.However I think it would be safe to advise buying a small Skywatcher telescope which have a reputation of reasonable quility.
Regards and good luck Les.
les

Postby philip pugh » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:06 pm

I have the ultra-portable 76mm "Cat". It's limited but has accompanied me all over the world. It has an uncanny ability to split double stars that theory says it shouldn't be able to do. It is my Skywatcher Startravel 80 and Coronado PST that are now more likely to be found in my hand luggage but my "Cat" served its purpose for a few years.
philip pugh

Postby sftonkin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:40 pm

The first thing to note is that not all Tasco telescopes are bad. Some of the ones from the 1960s are actually pretty good (e.g the 70mm equatorial refractor). I used to have a 60mm version that made a pretty good solar projection scope:
[image]http://astunit.com/tonkinsastro/atm/projects/sun/sunscope.jpg[/image]
Note how the mount is much beefier than the modern ones (tripod was home-made and much sturdier than the supplied one). The objective was also pretty good.

The main problem with Tasco telescopes nowadays is that they are made to a budget. The main optics are usually passable, but everything else is usually pretty naff; this makes them difficult to use. You might find [url=http://astunit.com/tutorials/evaluating.htm]this guide[/url] to be useful if you are considering buying a telescope.

If you do ever get one, they are improvable; some ideas [url=http://http://astunit.com/tutorials/junkscope.htm]here[/url].
sftonkin

Postby les » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:26 pm

HI Keef,
My first 'real' telescope was a 60mm I acquired in 1973 out of Dixons,it wasent a Tasco but a Prinz,and the most memerable obsevation made was my first ever veiw of the Ring Nebula,not bad considering I lived less than a mile from the centre of Edinburgh at the time,and also many happy afternoons projecting the Sun during the gloriously sunny summer of 1975.[8D]The biggest pain was its yoked altazimuth mount and its almost useless micro controls,and the issued Barlow was a joke.
Regards Les.
les

Postby spartacus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:16 pm

G'day Les, I managed to find Saturn as was blown away ! I got cheesed off trying to track anything on it's ricketty tripod so it got flogged, next stop was Sneezum's for a Celestron C150-HD, £600 before the power of Chinese manufacturing had really taken off

Keef
spartacus

Postby crazy about stars » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:03 pm

thanks guys I know why now
crazy about stars

Postby paraman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 pm

I bought a tasco reflector over 25 years ago, it served me well until I could afford better and I only parted company ( I gave it to a friend) with it a few weeks ago. Its gone to a new home and with luck it will spark a lifetimes interest for someone else.
paraman

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question