Switch to full style
Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries
Post a reply

Re: Telescope recommendations?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Not only is there my own content but I have a lot of links to other astronomy sites here:

http://www.philippughastronomer.com/index.html

If you haven't already, I would start observing with binoculars before buying a telescope.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 am

[quote="Gfamily2"]OK, so that maybe wasn't what you were looking for, but in Summary:

If you're not interested in photography and are happy to do star hopping, then I would suggest getting a decent sized dobsonian, like the Skyliner 250 above. That will be good for general DSO observing, and with a good high power eyepiece will be good for planets and the moon. This has the biggest aperture that you're going to get in your price range, and will be a versatile scope.

If you prefer to have a tracking or a GOTO scope within the same budget area, you'll be looking at a smaller aperture scope - you should be able get a 130mm Newtonian scope on a tracking or a GOTO mount in your price range.[/

The info on the different types of observing was very helpful, so thank you! My dad and I are having a look now at different places to observe, different techniques and different scopes to go with them. I'm looking at catadioptric, but they seem to be quite a bit out of my price range... :lol: I'll carry on looking, using the information you gave me and see what I can find!

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 am

The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof wrote:Not only is there my own content but I have a lot of links to other astronomy sites here:

http://www.philippughastronomer.com/index.html

If you haven't already, I would start observing with binoculars before buying a telescope.

Thank you- I LOVE your website, had a quick look earlier and I can tell it will be very useful. My dad does have a good pair of binoculars, and I'm familiar with using them, however I haven't done too much observation with them. Now my exams are out of the way and it's getting warmer I should be able to start-I do live in a very light polluted area though, so I'm going to try to find some parks or commons that I can go to at night. I know my way around Greenwich park at night as I did my astronomy course there, but it's not open at night!! :( thank you so much and I'll keep looking into your website-can't wait!

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Eloise Wilson wrote: Now my exams are out of the way and it's getting warmer I should be able to start-I do live in a very light polluted area though, so I'm going to try to find some parks or commons that I can go to at night. I know my way around Greenwich park at night as I did my astronomy course there, but it's not open at night!!

If you're close to Central London, there is a group called the Baker Street Irregulars who meet up in Regent's Park when the prospects for viewing are good. According to their FaceBook page, their next meeting is planned for this Wednesday, 21st Feb.
I've not observed with them, but I have met some of them at one of the AstroCamp star parties they run in the Brecon Beacons. They're a friendly bunch. Because they're meeting at night in Regent's Park, I would suggest you contact them to find out where they meet up, which entrance they use etc. NB - because the weather is variable, sometimes they move their dates from the Wednesday to the Tuesday or the Thursday, so getting in touch is probably worthwhile.
http://www.bakerstreetastro.org/

Alternatively, if you are still in the South East area of London, the Flamsteed Astronomy Society are based at the Royal Greenwich Observatory and have observing sessions from time to time on Blackheath. Their next scheduled event is on Friday March 9th (or the Saturday if the weather isn't good on the Friday)
http://flamsteed.info/events/category/blackheath/

I have absolutely no doubt that beginners would be very welcome at both groups.

Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 pm

I second the ED80 Evostar , I had and loved a Saxon branded version down here for years and these are awesome for the price .

ps. I only sold mine because I got offered a Takahashi FS60C for a price I could not refuse .Since sold as well due to life getting in the way but I find my little LP 60mm triplet is %99 of the Tak at 1/3 the price so we are very spoilt today with whats avaliable .

Beanerds.
Attachments
039 (3).JPG
039 (3).JPG (483.65 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Post a reply