The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:10 pm

HI,
For the past few months I've been trying to decide which telescope to buy with the help of you good people. I've been umming and ahhing so much over which scope to get that I think I'd still be doing that for the next few months if I didnt just go out and buy one. So today I went out to my local Argos store and bought a reduced priced Celestron Astro Fi 130 in order to dip my toe in the water as it were.
The scope looks great and the tripod extends a long way which is great for me (as I'm 6 foot 3)

However, in order to align the Starpointer Finderscope the instructions say:
"Do not try to move the telescope left and right while it is off. Move the assembled tripod so the telescope is pointed in the direction of the object you chose in step 1"

But then it says "Look through the telescope and move it up and down until the object you chose lies in the centre of the view"

My question is, how on earth am i supposed to move the telescope up and down in this circumstance? The scope itself wont move up and down as it's connected solidly to the fork arm.
Do they mean i will keep having to lower or higher one tripod leg, take a look, lower or higher it again, take a look, and repeat until the object is in the centre of the view?
Sorry if this is a daft question,
Jimmy
Newbie Jimmy
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Newbie Jimmy wrote:HI,
For the past few months I've been trying to decide which telescope to buy with the help of you good people. I've been umming and ahhing so much over which scope to get that I think I'd still be doing that for the next few months if I didnt just go out and buy one. So today I went out to my local Argos store and bought a reduced priced Celestron Astro Fi 130 in order to dip my toe in the water as it were.
The scope looks great and the tripod extends a long way which is great for me (as I'm 6 foot 3)

However, in order to align the Starpointer Finderscope the instructions say:
"Do not try to move the telescope left and right while it is off. Move the assembled tripod so the telescope is pointed in the direction of the object you chose in step 1"

But then it says "Look through the telescope and move it up and down until the object you chose lies in the centre of the view"

My question is, how on earth am i supposed to move the telescope up and down in this circumstance? The scope itself wont move up and down as it's connected solidly to the fork arm.
Do they mean i will keep having to lower or higher one tripod leg, take a look, lower or higher it again, take a look, and repeat until the object is in the centre of the view?
Sorry if this is a daft question,
Jimmy


Hi - yes, more or less that's what they're asking you to do. At this stage, you're making sure that the red dot finder is aligned with the centre of the field of view of the scope.

However, there's no reason why you can't power up the scope following the instructions on page 5 and 6 of the instruction sheet and then when it says "start be looking at terrestrial objects" then use the handset to line the scope up with the the selected streetlight, tree etc, and then when it's centred, you can line up the RDF.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:[

Hi - yes, more or less that's what they're asking you to do. At this stage, you're making sure that the red dot finder is aligned with the centre of the field of view of the scope.

However, there's no reason why you can't power up the scope following the instructions on page 5 and 6 of the instruction sheet and then when it says "start be looking at terrestrial objects" then use the handset to line the scope up with the the selected streetlight, tree etc, and then when it's centred, you can line up the RDF.


Hi, thanks for the quick reply
I tried to follow what you advise but this telescope does not have a handset, its purely Wi-Fi
Probably a bad choice i know but I am so itching to get star gazing I thought I'dd give this scope a go
Newbie Jimmy
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Newbie Jimmy wrote:
Gfamily2 wrote:[

Hi - yes, more or less that's what they're asking you to do. At this stage, you're making sure that the red dot finder is aligned with the centre of the field of view of the scope.

However, there's no reason why you can't power up the scope following the instructions on page 5 and 6 of the instruction sheet and then when it says "start be looking at terrestrial objects" then use the handset to line the scope up with the the selected streetlight, tree etc, and then when it's centred, you can line up the RDF.


Hi, thanks for the quick reply
I tried to follow what you advise but this telescope does not have a handset, its purely Wi-Fi
Probably a bad choice i know but I am so itching to get star gazing I thought I'dd give this scope a go

Fair point - when I said handset I meant phone or tablet or whatever you've decided to use with the Celstron SkyPortal app
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi, thanks I worked out how to connect wirelessly in the end but I've just spent a very frustrating evening trying in vain to align the scope.

Sky Portal says to pick 3 bright stars. This evening was crystal clear here in the UK, but the only bright stars seemed to be directly above me.
I didnt think this would be a problem, but when I moved the scope wirelessly to center in on them the scope could not go vertically as it bumped into the arm. So instead of being able to look directly up I can only get to about 70 degrees rather than 90

Is this the same with all 130 sized scopes? Should I have bought a smaller length scope do you think?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Newbie Jimmy
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:44 am

Newbie Jimmy wrote:Hi, thanks I worked out how to connect wirelessly in the end but I've just spent a very frustrating evening trying in vain to align the scope.

Sky Portal says to pick 3 bright stars. This evening was crystal clear here in the UK, but the only bright stars seemed to be directly above me.
I didn't think this would be a problem, but when I moved the scope wirelessly to center in on them the scope could not go vertically as it bumped into the arm. So instead of being able to look directly up I can only get to about 70 degrees rather than 90

Is this the same with all 130 sized scopes? Should I have bought a smaller length scope do you think?

Thanks,
Jimmy

So sorry to hear you're finding it frustrating. There's inevitably a learning curve with anything like this, but once you're over it, there are rewards - and a 130mm scope can be very rewarding.

Firstly: Although it's true that there are some pretty bright stars overhead at the moment, Sky Portal should be able to work with any three reasonably bright stars - so look around the mid-sky regions, so long as there's a bit of angle between them, you should be OK with any three

Secondly - is it possible to move the 'scope' forward in the mount a bit? - to get a bit more latitude in your view? Might be worth trying!
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:53 am

Newbie Jimmy wrote:Hi, thanks I worked out how to connect wirelessly in the end but I've just spent a very frustrating evening trying in vain to align the scope.


Hello Jimmy

Alignment is tricky, I've tried and failed a three star alignment twice now in the dark but playing with the scope during the day in the front room helps a lot. Practice makes perfect! The guide scope has to be set up, but then you can do a one star align which is not very accurate but easy to do. Then just keep practising, it will come to you.

The zenith slew restriction is well annoying. They don't mention it in the sales blerb! I am able to slide the tube forward so the eye piece misses the mount when vertical but the scope is then seriously out of balance and as an engineer I'm not happy with that. It would be possible to add a counter weight to take the strain off the altitude motor but there would still be an increased initial torque that the motors were not designed to handle.

Trevor the weather says clear skies tonight so I'm going to have a play this afternoon and then set up in the back garden tonight. But first I've got to put in a shift up the allotment!
_______________________________________
Miranda 10x50 Binoculars
Skywatcher Dobsonian 10"
Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25"
Graeme1858
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 pm
Location: Kent, UK, 51°22’N 0°32’E

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:So sorry to hear you're finding it frustrating. There's inevitably a learning curve with anything like this, but once you're over it, there are rewards - and a 130mm scope can be very rewarding.

Firstly: Although it's true that there are some pretty bright stars overhead at the moment, Sky Portal should be able to work with any three reasonably bright stars - so look around the mid-sky regions, so long as there's a bit of angle between them, you should be OK with any three

Secondly - is it possible to move the 'scope' forward in the mount a bit? - to get a bit more latitude in your view? Might be worth trying!


Hi,
Thanks for replying

I've looked at the scope and unfortunately i dont seem to have the option of moving it forward in the mount, as the clip on the OTA that is slid into the arm is quite small
I will try tonight though to line up with 3 less bright stars though :D

Cheers,
Jimmy
Newbie Jimmy
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Graeme1858 wrote:Hello Jimmy

Alignment is tricky, I've tried and failed a three star alignment twice now in the dark but playing with the scope during the day in the front room helps a lot. Practice makes perfect! The guide scope has to be set up, but then you can do a one star align which is not very accurate but easy to do. Then just keep practising, it will come to you.

The zenith slew restriction is well annoying. They don't mention it in the sales blerb! I am able to slide the tube forward so the eye piece misses the mount when vertical but the scope is then seriously out of balance and as an engineer I'm not happy with that. It would be possible to add a counter weight to take the strain off the altitude motor but there would still be an increased initial torque that the motors were not designed to handle.

Trevor the weather says clear skies tonight so I'm going to have a play this afternoon and then set up in the back garden tonight. But first I've got to put in a shift up the allotment!


Hi Graeme,
Thanks for your reply
I use the Sky portal app and only seem to have 2 options for alignment, those being a manual align (involving 10 objects all to be aligned) or a standard 3 star alignment.
Can you advise please which app if any you use to align? If it's the Sky Portal how do you select a 1 star alignment?

As you say, the slew restriction is very frustrating, but similarly to you I will have a play this afternoon before I try again tonight to align.

Out of interest, what time will you be star gazing tonight? Do you wait until the skys are totally dark or do you go out at a set time?
Thanks
Jimmy
PS what are you harvesting from the allottment? If you have any spuds going spare let me know! :D
Newbie Jimmy
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Can't get Sky Portal to connect to the telescope this afternoon! From memory, you tap Connect not Connect and Align, search for say, Vega, point the scope at Vega and tap align. You don't need to align all 10 but the more you do the more accurate it will be.

I'll be going out at 8ish to set up the red dot and let the scope cool down and have a beer in the sunset. I like to go out and get set up before it gets dark and wait for Vega to appear!

Spuds (none spare sorry)
Brassicas
Runner Beans
Marrows (loads spare, 3 plants might have been a bit over the top!)
Tomatoes
Some salads
Leaks
Onions
_______________________________________
Miranda 10x50 Binoculars
Skywatcher Dobsonian 10"
Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25"
Graeme1858
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 pm
Location: Kent, UK, 51°22’N 0°32’E

Next

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron