The happy demise of a "serious" amateur astronomer

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

The happy demise of a "serious" amateur astronomer

Postby sftonkin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:03 am

I suppose I ought to take the opportunity:

Been observing on and off for 45 years or so. Started off NE, then small bins, about 20 yrs ago I wanted a scope so I made one, then made all my own scopes, then about 6 yrs ago I bought one. Things escalated.

A few years ago I was getting seriously high tech -- everything getting computerised, etc. -- and getting very serious about making "useful" observations. A back injury took me back to using binocs. I took stock and realised that the enjoyment had been leeching out as my kit had got more gee-whiz. Sold my scopes and bought big bins (and a few sports kites!), and it was like discovering astronomy all over again. My priorities are again enjoyment and relaxation. I no longer feel that I "ought" to observe -- I just do it when the mood takes me.
sftonkin

RE: The happy demise of a "serious" amateur astronomer

Postby gammalog » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi Stephen

You are indeed an 'old hand' at the hobby, and your books display your extensive knowledge of the subject.

The fact that you are now flying kites indicates that you have recovered well from your back injury, which is nice to hear. Also pleased to hear that your interest in astronomy has been re-kindled and that you are again deriving pleasure from it.

We each enjoy the hobby in our own way, and if we are enjoying it, then we must be doing it right.

I share astronomy with my many other hobbies and during the long light evenings of the summer months, astronomy takes a bit of a 'back seat'.

Clear skies.

Dave
gammalog

Postby sftonkin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:13 am

[quote]your books display your extensive knowledge of the subject. [/quote]

With one exception, my name is on the cover as "(Ed.)", i.e. the vastly greater bulk of knowledge is that of the other contributors; I merely bask in reflected glory. [:)]

[quote]We each enjoy the hobby in our own way, and if we are enjoying it, then we must be doing it right.[/quote]

Amen to that!

[quote]I share astronomy with my many other hobbies[/quote]

Which are? (You don't say in your intro)
sftonkin

Postby gammalog » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi again Stephen

Well, as for my other hobbies, here's the list, in no particular order of importance:

Amateur Radio (Licensed as G3*** since 1968)
Electronics
Dinghy Sailing
Angling (freshwater)
Golf
Computers (building and upgrading)
Digital Photography
Caravanning (touring around Europe)
Playing Guitar and Keyboard
A small Lathe, which I bought for making up bits for astronomy
And, last but by no means least, my Grandchildren

Oh yes, I used to Scuba Dive, but I'm too old for that now

Astronomy, which has always been a background interest, came on the scene in 2001, when out of interest, I started a Part Time course with the University of East Anglia, in 'Observational Astronomy'.

After that, the interest really 'kicked in', and led to the observatory that I have today.

Dave

gammalog

Postby sftonkin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:36 pm

Hi Dave,

[quote]Oh yes, I used to Scuba Dive, but I'm too old for that now[/quote]

Ah. A bit like caving for me. [:D]

sftonkin

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Stephen,
We must be two of the old hands at this hobby then! I have been observing for about 30 years but I have to admit I've never left it since.
Last year I even took it up academically and achieved a certificate of higher education in astronomy!
Looking forward to reading more posts from you in the future.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Return to Introductions