The Ring Vs The Dumbell nebula

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

RE: The Ring Vs The Dumbell nebula

Postby gammalog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:26 pm

That's a nice M57 Steve, good colour.

Andy, I've just uploaded a second image (M1) and both that and the first one went straight in, no 'awaiting approval', so I can't explain that one.

If there is an 'awaiting approval' system, I can understand it being there, as its probably a means of preventing anything offensive appearing on the forum. In which case, a good idea
gammalog

Postby big dipper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:43 pm

Hopefully nobody would be that stupid, Dave. They must know that our admins would catch up with the post sooner or later. BTW where is your M1 shot? Can't seem to find it on the forum.
big dipper

Postby gammalog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:43 pm

M1 is six 'posts' back up the line from this one, I can see it here ok, but you say you can't?
gammalog

Postby big dipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:00 am

All I see is your username, gammalog, and "[Awaiting Approval]". I guess that the rest of us don't get to see it until it's been approved. [&:]
big dipper

Postby gammalog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:00 am

Ah!!, that then explains the 'awaiting approval' that I've seen against your 'posts', but I don't see it on my own 'posts'.

I don't know then how this system works, if you can see my M27, then it must be some sort of automatic time delay. I can't see anyone sitting on the server, vetting images at this time of night.

If it is automated, how does it approve or dis-approve an image?, confusing or what?
gammalog

Postby gammalog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:00 am

I 'posted' M1 at 10.23.
gammalog

Postby big dipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 am

Dave, can you see my M57/M27 shots in my initial thread? Hopefully you can, as I didn't upload them from my PC, but used the IMG tags to import the pictures from my website.

I assume that you uploaded your M1 directly from your PC to the forum - which is why there is an 'Awaiting Approval' signal alongside them. My guess is that they will be approved manually by Kirsty or someone when they are next online. To have your pictures shown instantly (like Steve's) you need to use the IMG tags & link direct to an existing website. That photohosting link I provided earlier is ideal. Hopefully this picture of M27 should be instantly visible:

big dipper

Postby gammalog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 am

Hi Andy, yes it is visible, and yes I did upload mine straight to the forum.

I guess Admin (Kirsty) will approve them tomorrow. As I said, it must be to control what images appear on the forum, which makes sense. Except, that from what you and Steve have discovered, there is a gaping hole in this 'Firewall'.

Anyway, its too late to re-post them tonight, so the appearance of my two images on the forum, will have to wait until tomorrow now.
gammalog

Postby qu54856bo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi Big Dipper

I am too new to this to express an opinion. I am gobsmacked by both and also by the quality of yours and others pictures posted in these threads. They are an inspiration to the rest of us. I get my first scope soon and am very excited at the prospect of finding and seeing these objects.

best wishes
Auray
qu54856bo

Postby albireo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:30 pm

My vote goes to the ring. I observe visually and I find the ring brighter. I still remember the first time I looked for it during one of my first nights at the telescope and my amazement at its appearance. Like a doughnut among the stars. The dumbell I find much dimmer and indistinct. Maybe due to LP.
albireo

PreviousNext

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches