‘The Sky at Night’ Lunik 2 Moon landing date.

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

‘The Sky at Night’ Lunik 2 Moon landing date.

Postby spartan45 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:19 am

Anyone know why the world renowned astronomer/presenter of the BBC’s ‘The Sky at Night’, Sir Patrick Moore appears to say the Lunik 2 landed on the Moon (hit the Moon at great speed) in September 1939 during the 27 September 1960 episode of The Sky at Night – ‘The Moon’ after about 2 minutes into the show. This episode is available to see on the BBC iPlayer. Anybody who has seen the comic 2012 film ‘Iron Sky’ might say ‘there you go’.
spartan45

Re: ‘The Sky at Night’ Lunik 2 Moon landing date.

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:28 am

I guess it was a slip of the tongue.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:49 pm

spartan45 wrote:Anyone know why the world renowned astronomer/presenter of the BBC’s ‘The Sky at Night’, Sir Patrick Moore appears to say the Lunik 2 landed on the Moon (hit the Moon at great speed) in September 1939 during the 27 September 1960 episode of The Sky at Night – ‘The Moon’ after about 2 minutes into the show. This episode is available to see on the BBC iPlayer. Anybody who has seen the comic 2012 film ‘Iron Sky’ might say ‘there you go’.

Patrick Moore did everything without cue cards etc. When you are not reading a script, the brain sometimes defaults to familiar patterns. '1939' would have been a year often quoted and remembered.

I think it goes without saying that Patrick did not intend to say '1939', nor did Lunik II actually crash-land on the moon in 1939. He meant to say '1959', which would have been correct.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby spartan45 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Yes, Aratus, it seems I over reacted and agree with both 'Gfamily2' and your post that the 1939 remark was simply human error. It is interesting to note that on YouTube 'The Sky at Night - Bases on The Moon' episode broadcast 3rd October 1963, Patrick Moore at 4m20s into the show makes special mention of the Lunik 2 landing (albeit at very high speed) on the Moon in September 1959, as if to correct the mistake made three years earlier.
spartan45

Postby Aratus » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Did Lunik 2 make a high speed landing, or did Patrick Moore make the comment at high speed? :D

I don't imagine many people would have spotted the mistake. I've watched that broadcast many times and not realised it. Well done for catching it, especially at the speed he made the comment.

It is interesting to watch old TV programmes from the 1960s and 1970s. It seems that mistakes were left in - even in some recorded programmes. I watched an episode from an old sitcom the other way when one character called another by the wrong name throughout a particular scene. Either no one was checking, or perhaps they thought it didn't matter. In those days people would only hear it once, as it was broadcast, and listeners might have easily thought that they had been mistaken.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to General