Switch to mobile style

The Sky at Night TV programme to return

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Re: The Sky at Night TV programme to return

Postby dave.b » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Horizon sends me to sleep these days! I think it's the slow repetitious delivery inducing an alpha rhythm brain state. Excellent therapy for the stressed though!
dave.b

Postby Michael Orme » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:46 pm

I think the BBC just does not do science programs any more. Perhaps they are expensive to produce, and have a limited, (male?) audience.
Michael Orme

Postby dave.b » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:11 pm

That may be true for TV, but for radio there's a fair selection of good programmes. Have a flick through the Radio 4 programmes on iPlayer and the associated podcasts.
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 pm

I still watch the Sky at Night, but it is always with a heavy heart. It isn't the same kind of programme as it used to be. I've still to understand why we need 2 presenters. The 2 we have are fine people with good communication skills, but they are not the right people for the job. No matter how hard they try, they have no great interest in amateur astronomy, and that takes away so much of the connection with a lot of the the people watching. I still watch it because having the Sky at Night is better than not having it. Its potential is enormous, but it is far from being realised at the moment.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby voyager » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:03 pm

I feel the same way. Mind you, I don't miss Sir Patrick as much as I used to (in 2016 I learned some very disturbing things about him in my first year of psychology) but he sacrificed his life for the cause of astronomy and inspiring people, and for that I still admire him tremendously. Perhaps the show could adopt the star party format as used by Stargazing Live (but recorded rather than live) and spin-off the news section for a separate show, similar in format to Final Frontier.
voyager

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:34 pm

voyager wrote:in 2016 I learned some very disturbing things about him in my first year of psychology

It intrigues me that Patrick Moore seems to have been been so thoroughly analysed as to merit inclusion as an example of a disturbed personality in a psychology course. :roll: I wonder who did the research, and if they ever actually spoke to him? :?

I have tried to watch 'Stargazing Live' in the past but I avoided it last year. It has its place, I'm sure, but it curls my toes!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby voyager » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I was absolutely astonished to see his name amongst a list of famous people, but don't worry: he is not in any of the psych textbooks, but rather, was chosen by the professor (I suspect he knew my interest, and included Patrick as a way of shaking up my belief systems).

Anyhoo, what format would your ideal show take?
voyager

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Fair enough. People tend to make people they admire into saints, which of course no one can really live up to. I'm sure Patrick Moore would have made an interesting subject, but he would never have cooperated. In fact he would have put on an act just to confuse people, and enjoyed doing it!

If I could take over Sky At Night, I would probably return it to something like its original format. It would open with a tour of the current night's sky, and mention of any special events. A filmed report from the world of professional or amateur astronomy. A studio guest. The proportion of these three would depend on the subject or what was happening at the time. I would consider equipment reviews. Covering projects like building an observatory, or starting a local club. Outreach. Suggestions for what to observe, and how to observe more systematically. Looking at the posts on the forum and addressing some of the questions raised and discussed here wouldn't be a bad thing to do from time to time.
Aratus

Postby voyager » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 am

Good idea, like that! Kind of like a visual version of a certain astro magazine... ;)
voyager

Postby Darby Gloss » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 am

good news, and if you like playing games on computer, there are a lot of equipment in
detectorall.c om(no space) you can have a look, and i believe you can find a good one.
Darby Gloss

PreviousNext

Return to General