The Sky at Night TV programme to return

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

The Sky at Night TV programme to return

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm

The BBC have issued a press release concerning the future of the Sky at Night TV show.

----------

The BBC today announces that its longest running astronomy series, The Sky at Night, will continue next year. From February 2014, it will air in a new monthly half hour slot on BBC Four, with repeats on BBC Two.

Kim Shillinglaw, Head of Commissioning, Science and Natural History, says: “Sir Patrick Moore inspired generations of astronomers and I hope that alongside the BBC's other astronomy content, such as BBC Two’s Stargazing Live, The Sky at Night will enthuse further generations about the wonder of the night sky.”

Cassian Harrison, Editor, BBC Four, says: “I’m delighted that we are continuing with such a treasured BBC brand and look forward to welcoming the programme to its new home on BBC Four, where it will join a rich mix of other science content.”
The Sky at Night was first broadcast on 24 April 1957 and continued to be presented by Sir Patrick Moore until his death in 2012, making it the longest-running programme with the same presenter in television history. Following Moore’s death, the series has been fronted by a team of guest presenters.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Sky at Night TV programme to return

Postby WBS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Excellent news!!!

...but having been the longest running astronomy show in history - why miss a month in January? Will that not scupper the unbroken continuity? Surely they could squeeze in an edition of Sky at Night in the same month as Stargazing Live - it would be great to see both shows advertising each other by directing viewers to watch both!
WBS

Postby supernova » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Just be grateful that the BBC are continuing to broadcast the Sky at Night and did not cancel it completely. By the way what time will the Sky at Night be on in February? Hope it is not on past midnight.
supernova

Postby Godspel » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:32 am

The new sky at night programme has been moved from bbc1 to bbc4. Only found this out because I decided to watched the previous programme. I am unable to find out if there are any confirmed dates for a series link set up !! Have they moved it so they can say that there are not enough viewers to give them selves an excuse for cancelling the show ?? Very sad for a show that has been going for so many years
Godspel

Postby Renegadeh83 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:37 am

Where's Paul Abel? Where is Jon Culsaw? Where is Lucy Green??? Where is Chriss North????They gave the programme the chemistry it had before. Now, they introduced this new presenter along with Chris Lintot and it's just not the same. Her delivery is not very pleasing (I'm not putting her off, she may be a great astronomer but has not the diction nor the delivery one might expect from the past presenters). The rapport the old team had that "come back next month for more" feeling. Sad to say I'm disappointed with the new format.
Renegadeh83

Postby Viva » Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

New to this forum, but I have to say, what on earth has happened to the TV programme? Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock has to have the most patronising, irritating and difficult to listen to voices ever, and I can't stand that ridiculous and completely unnecessary background music they put on everything - the whole concept of the universe is amazing enough, you don't have to add a damned orchestra to it.
It's as if everyone concerned was waiting for the great Sir Patrick Moore to disappear so they could change everything; It's lost that simple and straight forward format which made it the longest running programme ever and such a joy to watch and they've turned it into a smaltzy, insipid offering. Adding all the latest production techniques appears to be just done for the sake of doing it (I mean standing around with I-pads? Come on!) and adds nothing but takes away everything. I hate it!
Viva

Postby dave.b » Mon May 12, 2014 5:14 pm

So how should it be?

If everyone just says it's crap then it makes it easy to cancel. If people want it but in a different way then make the constructive suggestions.

Regards
Dave B.
Last edited by dave.b on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave.b

Postby Viva » Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 am

Like I said "that simple and straight forward format which made it the longest running programme ever", get rid of presenters who talk as though they're half way through an asthma attack, and get rid of that awful incidental background music. The programme the BBC are giving us now has no right to call itself "The Sky at Night" as far as I'm concerned.
Viva

Postby Michael Orme » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:58 pm

This program has become too "silly", like a science program for children, presenters are there to entertain an audience, rather than educate. The program I watched about a week ago was the the worst I've seen. After Sir Patrick Moore (great man) past away, the Sky At Night name should not have been put to any other program. It is most annoying and disappointing for me to see "The Sky At Night" program listed in my TV guide, only to find this silly childish nonsense, instead of a repeat from years ago of a program with Sir Patrick Moore presenting. I'd rather watch a program from the archives in black and white, with mono sound, but with intellectual and educational content, that is still relevant today, than this new look program. This all reminds me of the last dying days of "Tomorrows World", once presented by Raymond Baxter, William Woollard, and James Burke. William Woolard was once a presenter on "Top Gear", before that program took a nose dive.
Michael Orme

Postby dave.b » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:23 pm

Horizon quite literally sends me to sleep these days! I think it's a combination of the slow monotone delivery with endless repetion of the same facts. I think it induces an alpha brain rhythm state. So good therapy if you're a bit stressed :-)
dave.b

Next

Return to General