The summer

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

The summer

Postby ricci » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:50 am

On day 21 June in the north hemisphere will begin the summer

[url=http://www.pierpaoloricci.it/dati/estate_eng.htm]www.pierpaoloricci.it/dati/estate_eng.htm[/url]
ricci

RE: The summer

Postby lancashire astroguy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Thanks for reminding us that in a few days, the days start to get shorter again! bah humbug!

At least its good for Astronomy I suppose ... sick of these light nights.

James
lancashire astroguy

Postby lukeskywatcher » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:03 am

[i][b]On day 21 June in the north hemisphere will begin the summer

[/b][/i]Not true. We are already in summer. On the 21st we will be half way through summer and the days will get shorter by 4 mins every day. Summer is a really bad time to be an astronomer because it is not truely dark til after midnight and it starts getting bright again by 3AM (here in Dublin). All my astro gear is tucked up in bed now until maybe late September (except for my bins).

I've never in my life been a summer astronomer. I'm more of a winter/Spring kinda observer. Thats not to say i dont observe during summer. If i do it is merely casual obseving with bins. [i][b]
[/b][/i]
lukeskywatcher

Postby brianb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:20 am

[quote]Not true. We are already in summer. On the 21st we will be half way through summer[/quote]
The astronomical definition of summer is that it starts at the summer solstice and ends at the autumnal equinox. Meterology defines summer as the months June, July & August. Up here in the Atlantic North West of the British Isles the best "summer month" is often May, "exam weather" we used to call it. The English definition of summer is two warm days and a thunderstorm....
brianb

Postby lukeskywatcher » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:36 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianb

[quote]Not true. We are already in summer. On the 21st we will be half way through summer[/quote]
The astronomical definition of summer is that it starts at the summer solstice and ends at the autumnal equinox. Meterology defines summer as the months June, July & August. Up here in the Atlantic North West of the British Isles the best "summer month" is often May, "exam weather" we used to call it. The English definition of summer is two warm days and a thunderstorm....

[/quote]

I'm afraid i dont follow the astronomical definition of summer. Infact because i live in Ireland i dont follow ony definition of summer. I agree that May is often the best month of the year for us to have summer but more often then not here in Ireland our summer happens in Sept/Oct when the kids go back to school. So far this year May and June have not been too bad. Next week we are meant to have the hottest weather so far this year..............so for me that means hotter then 24C.

I'm a fair skinned redheaded Celt, I hate the heat. I strart to melt at 20C.
lukeskywatcher

Postby les » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 am

HI All,
Technically speaking the first day of summer is the 21st June so its still officially spring,however most of us see the 1st of June as summers start.The mornings have already started to draw in(by about a minute so far) but from my site the latest sunsets are from the 21st-28th June at 10:03pm BST.
Regards and clear skies Les.
les

Postby sftonkin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:40 pm

So, astronomically summer begins on 21st June. Traditionally, Midsummers Day is 24 June (St John's Day).Ergo summer must end on 27 June. [;)]
sftonkin

Postby bajr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 pm

[quote]sftonkin
So, astronomically summer begins on 21st June. Traditionally, Midsummers Day is 24 June (St John's Day).Ergo summer must end on 27 June. [/quote]

DOH! Must look the flip flops out before it's to late[:D]

Brian
bajr

Postby lancashire astroguy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:40 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: lukeskywatcher
Summer is a really bad time to be an astronomer because it is not truely dark til after midnight and it starts getting bright again by 3AM (here in Dublin). [/quote]

Perhaps its not a bad thing that the sky doesn't get dark in Britain and Ireland at this time of year. If the sky was black we would be cursing that we can't see the most spectacular bit of the Milky Way properly as it doesn't get above the horizon at our latitude!

James

P.S. We get to see Noctilucent Clouds too, which are pretty nice!
lancashire astroguy

Postby brianb » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:23 am

[quote]If the sky was black we would be cursing that we can't see the most spectacular bit of the Milky Way properly as it doesn't get above the horizon at our latitude!
[/quote]
I curse anyway. The brightness of the sky spoils whatever view we do get. Still, shortest "night" tonight....
brianb

Return to General