Trading up equipment.

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Trading up equipment.

Postby ColinThomas » Sat May 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello,

Most people purchase scopes then trade-in as they trade-up the equipment tree. To facilitate this, there has to be a market for second hand equipment.

I have purchased Celestron and William Optics over the years and was after a starter scope for my son, so bought an Orion Dobsonian off ebay, from someone trading up. (Note this is Orion US , and not Orion Optics UK)

The courier managed to damage the scope, so I contacted Orion, and even though the part exists they won't sell it to me, as I am not the original purchaser.

This means that the second hand value of Orion scopes is zero, and therefore no route exists to owners to trade in and up.

I would be grateful to hearing from other amateur astronomers whether they have had similar issues, and which brands do not support traded-up equipment and so should be avoided when purchasing new equipment, which is not cheap. It would also be interested to start a forum from other manufacturers to be open on their "very small print"

I look forward to hearing from others experiences and thoughts

Many thanks

Colin Thomas

Please note the following official reply from Orion US:

"Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and I would like to expand on
why we have this long-standing policy. While we don’t offer replacement parts for
third-party purchases, we do provide lifetime service to our customers if they bought
a telescope from us or one of our authorized dealers. We will support that product for
as long as they own the equipment. For this purpose, we maintain a limited inventory
of replacement parts."

John Parker
Customer Service Manager
ColinThomas

Re: Trading up equipment.

Postby dave.b » Sun May 29, 2016 10:38 pm

That reply is a real wind up! It's a bit like non-transferable warranties on some marques of cars and that certainly affects second hand prices.

As for your damaged DOB, is the courier not liable?

Dave B.
dave.b

Return to Equipment Advice